78 GS550 - Mild Build / First Motorcycle Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 - Mild Build / First Motorcycle Project

Hi all. My name is John. I've recently decided to jump into 70s sport bikes after realizing that Honda (civic/integra/etc.) dreams were too big for me to reach right now. I've never ridden (still haven't) or owned a motorcycle before so I'm pretty excited to start this journey.

About a month ago I bought a 78 GS550. It was kind of an impulse buy at the bargain price of $250. It had minor electrical issues (more on that below) but compression and everything else on the bike looked decent.

So the short version of the bikes story is as follows. The possible original owner was an old man who recently passed away. His friend, who is in maybe his late 20s, bought it from his estate sale. His friend remembers riding along side it about 10 years ago and thinks that it may have been sitting since shortly after that. Since the friend bought it a dog ripped a side cover off and ate the wiring harness.

Everything looks fairly stock from my limited knowledge about these bikes. It does have some home made exhaust and a new seat (I think on both). It also has been repainted. I would like your guy's insights if you see anything else about the bike.

My plans are pretty simple at this point. Get it running, learn how to ride it. There may be small mods here and there as I get to them.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I probably won't be terribly active but I will post updates occasionally and will be lurking around. I'm looking forward to learning more about these bikes, learning how to ride, and having a new (slightly cheaper hopefully) project to tinker on!

bike2.jpg

This is from the day I bought it as well. You can see the exhaust in this photo. I'm excited to see what it sounds like even though it looks kinda haggard.

46928422_1863806973689042_3067066949579046912_n.jpg

Comment

Also, I should note. Since buying it I've fixed the wiring harness. It now has spark so I am just waiting until I have the time to put new fuel line on it to start it. The old line was cut which makes me nervous as to what problems lurk in the fuel system.

Comment

Go here

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and read everything, especially the top 10 Newbie mistakes

Then, post your build thread in the Projects forum

Then, sign up for some rider training via the MSF courses
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Good that you got the wiring harness taken care of.

Maybe the fuel line was cut just to drain the tank (without figuring how to disconnect) at some point when/before it was put away for long time.
          Also check the vacuum line to the petcock.

Thanks for pics.

I am not too familiar with the 550s , but yah, the seat is not stock and maybe hand modified.
          THe exhaust is not stock but could be an aftermarket not necessarily hand made.

Impressive that you are taking on this project with no riding experience.
          I strongly suggest that after you get it running, you dont just figure out the clutch and go on down the road, which is the easy part. Are some other things that need to figure out first, like steering (well, counter-steering) and stopping.
          So I strongly suggest you find a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) or other training class.

Pretend I have a hat that says "countersteering", and you ask, and then I will tell you the entire story.

If bike had been sitting for years, will probasbly need a good carb cleaning. ANd not just spray some carb cleaner in here and there, but a good tear down and 24 soak each. See the Carb Cleaning Series back on the website (not the forum, the website) under the Technical tab.

You will also want a voltmeter (multimeter) or at least a friend with one.

Also leaarn about date code on tires.

Tell us more of your adventure.
          Eastern Tennessee... anywhere near Knoxville....?
          Last edited by Redman; 12-17-2018, 03:37 PM. Reason: 550 not 750
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Already ahead of you!

And I definitely plan on doing the basic motorcycle safety course as well.

Thanks!

Comment

I've been riding bicycles my whole life and never had the opportunity to get into motorcycle really until now. It seems like a natural progression I guess lol. I will definitely get into one of those classes before I hit the road. I have seen the consequences of inexperienced motorcyclists far too many times.

I'm planning on this being a whole winter project but things have surprised me thus far. It may be in slightly better condition than I initially thought.

I'm in the Sevierville area.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will be putting them all to use!

Edit: Noob mistake on the quotes lol, I haven't used forums in quite a few years lol

Comment

Working...
              X