Yet another near miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another near miss

In my years of riding I thought I had seen just about every road hazard at least once. Gravel, potholes,road kill,wildlife,Old ladies in Mercury Marquis, Soccer Moms in SUVs,Semis on The Dragon,Farm equipment and the list goes on. Today on my way home from work on the SV I am on a road that has exactly 2 curves, a 90* Left hander followed by a 1/4 mile straight into a 90* Right hander. This is not a road I fly down but I have been on it a lot. Today I am setting up for the Left hander and half way through a Freakin Mini van is coming at me in My lane BACKWARDS! WTF! I get on the brakes as the van gets closer and stops maybe 10 feet away. I am in shock and ****** too so I roar around them thinking how bad it would have been were I a knee dragger. I have no idea what they were doing unless they were trying to turn around. They are indeed out to get us, so ride aware!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Hi Scott,

The general lack of common sense and common courtesy in the general public, especially drivers, never ceases to amaze me. I'm thankful that you are OK. We have to be watching out for ourselves, because nobody else is!

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Yikes.

Good that you avoided that, Scott.

Dave
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I go down a back road all the time which has a Left 90deg Turn, immediately followed by a Right 90 turn.

Almost Every time, there's some dumbass taking up the ENTIRE turn!
        And there's a community entrance Right at the first turn, so some idiot is usually flying out, with no warning.

I make it routine to give a quick blip of the ol' airhorn before coming threw blind turns.
        It usually works most of the time.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Glad you kept it under control buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
            a Freakin Mini van is coming at me in My lane BACKWARDS!
            Probably after a treasure spotted in the ditch....
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Fortunately I don't hit that curve hard because it often has gravel at the apex. At least I know I can panic stop without going down.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

wow! i have a road exactly like that in my area.Ky state rd 1526 towards 44. those two turns can be hairy when cars are around.

Comment

Working...
                X