Deadly lithium battery explosion & fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadly lithium battery explosion & fire

22 dead in (South) Korea. Here's the thing: it wasn't some crowded storefront charging dozens of used batteries. It was a battery factory, and they were just packaging new batteries for shipment. You'd never hear of good old fashioned gasoline exploding or catching fire (sorry).

On a less serious note, I was about to close the doors and put on the A/C. But then I wouldn't be able to hear the in-line fours winding out all night. Summertime!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Rob, what floor do you live on again?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Ground floor. (Suzi doesn't like heights. Or elevators.)
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Midwood, Brooklyn...

Two apartments and two businesses destroyed. Four injured, one "fighting for his life." E-bike was charging indoors at the foot of a stairwell.

Comment

Rob, can you name a method of transportation that is 100% free of any risk? Let us know what you think, this ought to be pretty interesting!
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

E-scooter hits 2 pedestrians, all 3 are injured.

Old Kawasaki Z1 or H1 Mach IV. No one ever got hurt riding one of those.

Comment

I remember living south of Sydney NSW (Caringbah) around 2006, an LPG Ute went kaboom on a side street a couple tows over. Somehow nobody was killed but it looked like Baghdad. I don't think they run LPG anymore due to manufacturing reasons. Lots of V8 Falcons and Utes ran LPG and saved $.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I once worked at a lumber yard where the forklifts were powered by the same tanks we use in our backyard gas grills. But, this morning...

Two men were injured in a fire in NY City. "Reports are that authorities are investigating an e-bike at the scene." Will this never end?

Comment

Why are you obsessed with the small number of lithium fires that happen, Rob? How many natural gas explosions have taken out entire buildings?
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Ha, we just had a building blow up in Downtown Youngstown!
                    One died, several injured, a lot of folks out of a apartment.

Unqualified workers( mayor's cronies) working in the basement removing old pipes... opps wrong one!
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      I once worked at a lumber yard where the forklifts were powered by the same tanks we use in our backyard gas grills. But, this morning...

Two men were injured in a fire in NY City. "Reports are that authorities are investigating an e-bike at the scene." Will this never end?
                      Do you know what happens to car batteries and most other types of batteries if they are severely overcharged? BOOM! The by product of charging a lead acid battery is hydrogen which will happily mate with a spark. lol
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Do you know what happens to car batteries and most other types of batteries if they are severely overcharged? BOOM! The by product of charging a lead acid battery is hydrogen which will happily mate with a spark. lol
                        Ya, I know dat. Aside from marijuana every day of high school and college, I never smoked. And I always put the joint down before peering down the six cells of sulfur. I did, however, develop a slight taste for battery acid. Strong and salty, my own sustainable hydrometer. Seven years of college down the drain!

Am I misinformed when I believe that most if not all chargers sold in the past few decades are fail-safe as far as overcharging?

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Why are you obsessed with the small number of lithium fires that happen, Rob?
                          For one thing, they're virtually impossible to extinguish with a regular fire hose. For another, I hate the sound e-bikes don't make. Your ears could be at full attention and they can still sneak up on you, whether you're walking, riding or driving.

I prefer the distinct sounds of much tamer vehicles like a '72 Kaw 2-stroke 750 triple, or a '73 903 Z1. Not 'safe' enough for you? Install a steering dampner, and you can't possibly get injured riding either of those scooters.

Comment

"Fireball" closes route 3 in New Jersey today. A tractor-tailor was involved in a crash and the driver did not survive. Google it, the fireball was caught on video and widely televised. The cargo is being investigated. I don't think diesel can explode in that way.

I was under the impression that if you dropped a lit match in a puddle of diesel, the flame would extinguish. Am I wrong?

Update: box truck with "flammable & corrosive" placards was rear ended by a bus.
                            Last edited by Rob S.; 07-22-2024, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Here's one that's bound to drive your anxiety levels to new heights Rob! Sometime back a friend gave me a backup battery he was no longer using, it'll top off my phone a couple of times, charge one of my lights etc.

So I'm hanging out yesterday and hear what sounds like a piece of plastic cracking and then it happens again. Checked around and inside the general area I heard it and found the cells had expanded making the case break open. It was charged about a week ago and hadn't been used since, just sitting there unplugged. No fire, no leakage, just a useless mass.

IMG_20240606_084049840.jpg

​​​​​

​​​​​

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Working...
                              X