Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't imagine the carnage, don't want to........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't imagine the carnage, don't want to........

Two Marshall County residents were killed in a motorcycle crash along I-24 in McCracken County that blocked traffic for hours on Saturday.

Paducah Police said the single-vehicle incident occurred at about 3:30 p.m. Witnesses told investigators that a motorcycle was seen traveling at a high rate of speed on the eastbound side of the interstate near the 6.4-mile marker when it ran off the left side of the road and struck the cable barrier. Reportedly, no other vehicles were involved.​

Happened Saturday 30 or so miles from me.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

That's awful...

Saw a girl on the back of a bike the other night - helmeted, but in a barely sleeved close fitting shirt and commented to my kids - If they go down, she's GONNA get hurt. She might survive, but yeah.

Not much interest in doing 2-up. Took my wife a couple times years ago, and some of my kids for brief rides, but don't even know if I'd do that anymore.

The 2-up thing is only part of the point to the post (or maybe not the point at all), but whoever was on the back was just along for the ride, as it were. I mean she (assumed) mighta done something to accidentally instigate the wreck, but who knows.

Comment

On that section of I-24 To get attention they had to be flying, the average speed there is 80 or so. Those wire barricades are pretty much a death sentence to a rider gear or not.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        On that section of I-24 To get attention they had to be flying, the average speed there is 80 or so. Those wire barricades are pretty much a death sentence to a rider gear or not.
        That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read this.thread.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Captain's first responsibility is to his passengers.
          Everyone gets home safe and not scared.
          I recall that early in my riding career, girlfriends would swap over to other bikes.
          In one or two cases, after a ride with me they stopped riding with their boyfriend.
          Only been off twice at speed. Both times I was pillion.
          Never again.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Been camped about seven miles from Deals Gap Motorcycle Lodge (The NC end of the Tail of the Dragon) for the last two weeks and have been there darn near every day to check out the bikes and steal the Wi-Fi. You've got all kinds of clowns running around up there, the ones who get me are those who wear a padded vest combo with another pad on back and a tee shirt the underneath, no other protection over that.

Then you've got the ones in full race gear with all their joints reinforced, they look like robots walking around. One guy was going on about how his pants where rated for a 160 mph crash so I asked him "How often do you go 160 on a public road? My Carhartt B-01 double front pants are good for at least 30, I can personally vouch for that!"
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              Been camped about seven miles from Deals Gap Motorcycle Lodge (The NC end of the Tail of the Dragon) for the last two weeks and have been there darn near every day to check out the bikes and steal the Wi-Fi. You've got all kinds of clowns running around up there, the ones who get me are those who wear a padded vest combo with another pad on back and a tee shirt the underneath, no other protection over that.

Then you've got the ones in full race gear with all their joints reinforced, they look like robots walking around. One guy was going on about how his pants where rated for a 160 mph crash so I asked him "How often do you go 160 on a public road? My Carhartt B-01 double front pants are good for at least 30, I can personally vouch for that!"
              So do you know about the guy that died this weekend?
              I live close, and also follow the Tail of the Dragon FB page.
              Monday morning a family posted about a missing fella who went there this past weekend from Georgia riding solo.
              By mid day, folks and found his photos on the pro sites, Killboy, etc., going through at about the 7 mile marker, on Friday.
              Locals went out and eventually found him Monday afternoon. He did not survive.

We don't know yet the cause of the crash...

Tough...I go there several times a year, always solo....
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

So do you know about the guy that died this weekend?
                I live close, and also follow the Tail of the Dragon FB page.
                Monday morning a family posted about a missing fella who went there this past weekend from Georgia riding solo.
                By mid day, folks and found his photos on the pro sites, Killboy, etc., going through at about the 7 mile marker, on Friday.
                Locals went out and eventually found him Monday afternoon. He did not survive.

We don't know yet the cause of the crash...

Tough...I go there several times a year, always solo....
                Monday was when I left and I haven't kept up since due to not having a signal where I moved to (Tsali Recreation Area) There's a vintage Yamaha rally at The Iron Horse and with the weather being as it is Tsali got closed as of this morning so I'm at The Iron Horse for the weekend.

Did see the bike someone died on Labor Day weekend parked at Wheelers, the bike fared better than the rider did for sure.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Working...
                X