TVs and other overpriced things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TVs and other overpriced things

sorry if I already asked but I am very forgetful since I got old.

Got this samsung un55mu8000 sweet tv and it partly died last dec.
    has sound and connects to internet based channels its has in its menu.

screen glows a granulated bluish and changes in intensity whilst traversin menus
    can see the menus but know I am traversing.

it turns on and make sound and such so I figure main board as it does not have a tcon board ( integrated with main?)

1500 or 1600 bucks and not old but out of warranty.

have any of you bought salvaged boards and used them with success?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

My go to with dead or dying screens are failed capacitors. Open it up and look for caps with domed heads. There may be half a dozen. Replacements are pennies and it's not difficult to remove them and fit new ones.Youtube has lots of how to guides. You don't have to be an expert with a soldering iron.
    I've done quite a few including the monitor for my PC a few months back. There is a lot of opinion that manufacturers are using cheap components and you can buy better from RS.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      My go to with dead or dying screens are failed capacitors. Open it up and look for caps with domed heads. There may be half a dozen. Replacements are pennies and it's not difficult to remove them and fit new ones.Youtube has lots of how to guides. You don't have to be an expert with a soldering iron.
      I've done quite a few including the monitor for my PC a few months back. There is a lot of opinion that manufacturers are using cheap components and you can buy better from RS.
      I checked the caps but they look fine. Im no lectricla guy but could test em I suppose.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't know if Samsung is the same but when my Sony died there was a light flashing at the bottom .... How many times it flashes identifies what part is pucked up ..... I forget what mine was . I just bought a new TV .......
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          I don't know if Samsung is the same but when my Sony died there was a light flashing at the bottom .... How many times it flashes identifies what part is pucked up ..... I forget what mine was . I just bought a new TV .......
          well it acts a lot like just the video to the panels is messed up.

I have it apart and there is nothing to see or smell that indicates a problem source.

I had wanted to send the diagnostic information to samsung but the website was USA only according to the twit that responded.
          this in spite of the mainboard and Power being the same
          about the only real difference would be the firmware and the localized content
          can i get US newtflix now? I ordered from a US vendor. 52 bucks 35 for shipping ouch!
          made the mistake of google earthing the vendors location and man its sketchy.

but chargebacks are fun
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Funny this thread popped up

T.v quit, looked up common problem and YouTube had the info,
            I went to a place company has do repairs on two way radios( they work I n all kinds of stuff)
            I was gonna order part through them, he went through a pile of stuff and found one, I watched him use a solder sucker ?
            He gave me the part, and some solder he said was best and a strip that soaked up solder..

Clean easy and when I turned the t.v on.....nothing..
            I forgot to plug in a circuit...lol

Then it was like new again....

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
              Funny this thread popped up

T.v quit, looked up common problem and YouTube had the info,
              I went to a place company has do repairs on two way radios( they work I n all kinds of stuff)
              I was gonna order part through them, he went through a pile of stuff and found one, I watched him use a solder sucker ?
              He gave me the part, and some solder he said was best and a strip that soaked up solder..

Clean easy and when I turned the t.v on.....nothing..
              I forgot to plug in a circuit...lol

Then it was like new again....
              Solder suckers are awesome.
              Time will tell.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Not sure it's the same problem, but i bought used boards on ebay for my Samsung tv and switched them out about a year ago. So far, so good. I was being cheap but also hoping to avoid sending the tv to the landfill.
                Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
                1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
                2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

well lesson one is never work on a tv when youve just loaded up the woodstove in the basement running open draught.

lesson two is change them damn remote batteries
                  lesson three that plastic bit surrounding the ir remote module connector is only cosmetic after all in spite of being broken by the noneheaded salvage guy.

so its in
                  it works
                  i have some lady's american netflix as a dubious bonus along with the spanish version of samsungs internet tv

Im actuall happy
                  120 cad with shipping.
                  happy all in all that it works and wont be going in a landfill
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Excellent result!

I think the effects of the Great Capacitor Plague (1997-2007) are mostly over by now. Most electronics built during this time are out of service.

For a long time, you could pretty confidently blame a very high percentage of failures on bad caps. And the style that failed is big enough that they could often be replaced without a lot of special equipment and skill.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

shopjimmy dot com
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                      X