1985 Yamaha FZ750 - rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean Frame

Well, it's raining and what can you do, but work on a motorbike.....

So off to the garage to see what I really have done to the frame, armed with a sanding sponge, drill and a wire wheel I proceeded to start sanding and cleaning and getting into all the nooks and crannies, nothing crazy just some light pressure with the sanding sponge, and afterwards used the wire wheel, and........

I am happy to say, the frame has actually come out not bad at all, no more rust, almost down to the bare metal, and about as smooth as a newborn's behind.......

I will have to be quick and get some primer on it now, since it's damp out there, but then it's a pain to prime with the humidity in the air so it's a bit of a pain at the moment, but Wednesday it's supposed to be nice, hopefully it will hold and not rust on me until then....

I believe the rims will be fine as well, it seems I am just below the first coat of paint on them, someone painted them white, right over the factory black, so there might be hope, if not, I can at least take them to a pro get them blasted even more and powdercoat that should get them looking OK once again....

so a few pics of a naked frame.......

Comment

is that a toyota 86 in the background, perchance?
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        is that a toyota 86 in the background, perchance?
        Far from a Toyota, and much newer...

it's my older son's 2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0, he just got it a few months back, here is a pic of some recent rims he just put on

Before the rims, but with HID bulbs for the low beams and the fog lights

Comment

OK show off you got to many toys, LOL, Brian

Comment

It's not my car......LOL

It's the older son, he pays for it, I actually have only driven it 4 times because it was raining and I couldn't take the bike, and he was on a late shift....hehehehe

I have an SUV, my other toys fit in it much better......LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              I will have to be quick and get some primer on it now, since it's damp out there, but then it's a pain to prime with the humidity in the air so it's a bit of a pain at the moment, but Wednesday it's supposed to be nice, hopefully it will hold and not rust on me until then....
              Bring it into the house, that's what I did. I even parked it between the kitchen table and the wall so the dogs wouldn't brush up against it.

When You do finally get around to painting it, hit it with an epoxy primer to lock out the elements.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Nothing done....but.....

I met a guy tonight and he has a contact that does powder coating, told me for the frame and rims it would be 200 bucks, so I figure if I add the few other bits and throw the guy 250 bucks cash, I would be really happy....

so no prime or paint this weekend, I have to wait and see if this will be confirmed and will actually happen....

and yes even the prep would be done, he does not sand blast, he chemically strips the parts, even better if you ask me.....

I do hope this pans out.....

Comment

Good price. The guy that I use dips than blasts.

Comment

send it in and get it nickle dipped, will be a beauty!, should be cheaper than chrome

Comment

Well it seems the price is good but the wait time is not, the guy is not able to do anything until the end of August.......

I am not going to wait that long, that is for sure, so it's back to the original plan, going to finish up the sand blasting on the rest of the parts, and prime and paint via rattle can.....

I have scrubbed down and cleaned up the engine, it's not too bad looking a bit of touch up, and she will be presentable....

Seems this rebuild will not be to the same caliber as the GS was, or so it seems to be going in that direction, but I will see if I can get at least close......maybe I will splurge and at least get the rims powder coated.......

I hate it when things don't go the way they should.....

ohh well, stay tuned for updates and pics, seems this project is once again on it's way....

Comment

I was shown some more parts yesterday from the FZ750 being rebuilt local to me. The rest of it appears to be in much the same condition as the motor - well worn...

the swingarm pivots on a one piece spacer/bearing inner race rather than the familiar GS separate bearing inner races and center tubular spacer.
                        The bearing surfaces of this are very badly pitted. The roller bearings are not nice either.
                        The owner tells me the inner piece comes up on ebay occasionally so they are around. Bearings are an over the counter size luckily. The rest of the linkage bearings are good, just requiring a clean and grease.

These early sportbikes got hammered when new....

Comment

Mine is not so bad, needs new wheel bearings, all of them, front and back, swing arm bearings apper to be in good shape, but I will inspect closer when the time times, and the stem bearings look good as well, I cleaned them up and re-greased them working well....

new maybe they got hammered on as you say, but I expect no less on a 30 year old bike, heck if it was pristine as is my GS now, I wouldn't have anything to do ....LOL

I have not moved on my project here as of late, got coil issues on my GS, and have to get that sorted first, then it will be back to the Yamaha......

soon I hope....

Comment

Engine Cleaning

Well back at this,,,,finally.....after a long time I am getting back to this rebuild. Still not decided on what or how to do the frame, paint or powder coat, so I decided to tackle the engine, get it cleaned and ready it for paint.

So with a wire wheel in the drill, and a few hours of time to spare, the entire engine got the brush down, and I do mean all of it. Next is to put the alternator back on, the water pump, and what ever else I took off, clean them up a bit, and then figure out a way to suspend the engine so I can paint the whole thing at once, and let it sit, until it's ready to go back...

I was going to do a period correct restore, but have changed my mind, and the bike will be all black, a mixture or mate, gloss, and anything in between...

I think the majority of the engine will be gloss black, it's available, and it will be the same as the GS engine I did, and it's holding up well....

So here are a few pics of the almost completed cleaned up engine....

Comment

Never been a fan of all-black bikes myself. Mostly because past a certain distance, there's not much to entertain the eye, just a silhouette.

But I love following rebuild threads and I'm very interested to see how it turns out. Your 750E build is one of my favorite GS builds and beats the pants off most modern bikes in terms of appearance.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

you hate me but you like me.....LOL

Just ribbing ya.....

I was going to go all original on the FZ, but decided not to, so not being very creative, well I just don't want to be, an all black theme seemed to be the best way to go....I am sort of modelling it off of my neighbours Honda 600RR Graffiti Theme

even though it will be black, the graphics will be reflective, just think of the undercover cop cars you see, the graphics are all black but reflect light and you can then see the POLICE on the side of the car....

I am trying to cut costs on this one, but I don't think painting it all black will do it...LOL

I like my GS also......

I will try to continue to document this build and hopefully all can enjoy it, even if it's not a GS....LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X