Need Quick Help - OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Quick Help - OIL

I am about to leave work on my way home and want to buy oil for my engine that is suitable for my engine and clutch. A comment was made on another post concerning some oil not being suitable for clutches (additives being not suitable).

I have a 1982 GS850G. I live in Newfoundland Canada where the temperature is usually between 10 and 25 degrees for driving weather (that's 50 to 80 for you Fahrenheit people).

The type of oil I think is 10W40. Should I be using another oil? Also, the type of oil I can get says this:

Pennzoil® Motor Oil Conventional Multi-Viscosity Motor Oils
    Advanced Protection Pennzoil® motor oils are formulated to protect your engine under the toughest driving conditions.

Benefits:
    Formulated to perform under everyday harsh driving conditions including stop-and-go traffic, prolonged engine idling in stalled traffic, and the many starts and stops of short-trip driving.
    Ideal for imported or domestic vehicles.
    Recommended for passenger cars, light trucks, SUVs, minivans and high-performance vehicles that are fueled with gasoline.

If you can purchase it in your area, Shell rotella (diesel) 15w40 is a nice oil to use. if not a 10w40 automotive oil works just fine.

I have Rotella in three of the bikes so far. and, when finished, the skunk will be sporting it also.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I think the general rule of thumb is to avoid any oil that has the words "energy conserving" in the round emblem on the back of every bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        If you can purchase it in your area, Shell rotella (diesel) 15w40 is a nice oil to use. if not a 10w40 automotive oil works just fine.

I have Rotella in three of the bikes so far. and, when finished, the skunk will be sporting it also.
        I remember reading somewhere in a post that was yours that you use diesel oil 15W40 - and that shall be what I use! I'll try to get the Shell... though 15W pickings here in NL are slim.

drejal - I shall be weary of the terminology (such as "energy conserving").

Thanks ever so much!

Comment

Working...
        X