Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you pay for a running GS1000 motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you pay for a running GS1000 motor?

I found a running GS1000 here in NC for sale for $600. Currently the bike does not have a title but the owner says he has the "names of last title was in". I called him this morning and asked him if he would be interested in parting out just the motor to me. After talking for a min, he said he would be looking for $400 for the motor. I told him I was looking to spend ~$300(250 would be ideal). So.....with all that said, what would be a fair price to pay for this? Mileage is ~18k. I dont need the carbs so I know I could get some of my money back selling them and I already have a lower end that I wouldnt need and could sell as well. What are your thoughts?

$250, yeah if it's local you are pretty certain it works well. I wouldn't go any higher without seeing it run and ride myself, checking compression, etc or seeing receipts from an engine builder including the engine number. A lot of $100 parts bikes will have an engine that runs, or can be made to run with carb work or something, but maybe smokes or makes some funny noises or leaks oil or pops out of gear or something. Most of them had a least a little issue that caused them to be parked out against that tree twenty years ago. If you end up having to tear it down you didn't save any money anyway.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth..buy the whole bike and sell parts here on the forum. Myself and Rustybronco probably would be interested in many of the parts. Also you can probabl;y make your money back and some extra as well..just my opinion!! Heck a nice seat can fetch 150 or 200 easily alone!..And i have seen amny posts for good gasd tanks..theres another 150 right there!! See what i mean??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Better idea, buy it and get a title from ITS or someone, use your old broken bike for the parts you need to get it on the road.

Comment

yeah a on the road 1000 is a plus anyday!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ya'll are right.....I bought the complete bike today. Bringing it home next weekend. Im currently moving from Atlanta back to Charlotte again for the second time this year so things are hectic to say the least. Im going to try and get the title for the 89 Gs1000 that I just bought since its in IMMACULATE condition and then I will be parting out the 78 that I currently have.

Comment

But isn't Georgia one of the states that requires no title on old bikes?
              Register it there then you can transfer it to the new address in NC?

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
                <snip>then I will be parting out the 78 that I currently have.
                I wonder what the outcome of this thread was?
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...77#post1161877

I was on track to buy several different items from him. Called and PM'd a few times. I think he's just a very busy person and I didnt wanna bug him too much.

I'd still like to have some of those parts.

tkent02, your correct. I was kinda wondering the same thing.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

No brainer, if it's registered to you, and you move to NC, they (NC) have to issue you a title.

Might need a letter from someone in Georgia stating they don't have titles.

I'm just not sure what you need to register it in Georgia.

Bill of Sale? Insurance? VIN Inspection? Dunno but someone in Georgia would know.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Bill of Sale? Insurance? VIN Inspection? Dunno but someone in Georgia would know.

Yes yes and yes. Dont even have to be notorized. Can be writen on a peice of notebook paper
                      The VIN inspection is for theft and it has to be from the county in which you live. Also from what I understand the bike/frame or whatever has to be on the property of the owner at time of inspection.
                      Call em and they come to you in about 13 mins
                      Thats it!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...77#post1161877
                        Cafe build is still on track. The bike that I just purchased is going to become my new cafe and the bike from the thread above will be parted out.

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        I was on track to buy several different items from him. Called and PM'd a few times. I think he's just a very busy person and I didnt wanna bug him too much.

I'd still like to have some of those parts.
                        I have been extremely busy lately. Im working 72hrs a week plus making arangements to move back to NC and trying to find time to work on the bike....chaotic to say the least. Look for my thread in a couple days which will have pictures of what I just bought and also a list of things that I will not be using. I cant remember what you or anyone else wanted so Ill start a new FS thread once I have the bike in my possession.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        No brainer, if it's registered to you, and you move to NC, they (NC) have to issue you a title.

Might need a letter from someone in Georgia stating they don't have titles.

I'm just not sure what you need to register it in Georgia.
                        Im going to look into what is needed to register it in GA but it would be ideal to register it in NC since thats where it currently is and that is where Im moving back to.

My current schedule has me in NC Sun-Tues and then Atlanta Wed-Sat. Ill be doing this for the next 3 weeks until Im in NC for good Aug 1st. Im going to try and get everything up for sale next weekend and then people can start getting what they want and Ill just ship out that weeks "orders" the following Monday when I get up to NC.

For those who have PMed me, the spoke wheels are NOT for sale. The stock mags from both bike will be.

Comment

I want the same stuff I wanted a few mos ago..

We PM'd lots. Even had an agreed price. We just couldnt hook up.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                          X