450 front sprocket noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 front sprocket noise

a month or 2 ago, I replaced both front and rear sprockets, and put on a new o-ring chain. I should have done the rear brake at the same time, but I finally got around to doing that tonight. After installing the new brake shoes, and getting everything back together, the front sprocket seems to be making a noise, not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't seem normal. This is from me just turning the wheel by hand. I haven't ridden it, neither have I pulled off the front sprocket cover yet, I hope someone here can give me some insight before I pull it apart yet again. As far as I can tell, I put it back together the right way.

Pull the cover and have a look....what is it....8 bolts ??

Make sure the sprocket is tight. Look closely at how the chain and the sprocket are wearing. Alot of wear on one side or the other indicates a misaligned chain.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Could the bolts on the sprocket loosened up from the time you put it on to now?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Most of the time front sprocket noise is the result of a misaligned chain. The chain is going onto the sprocket at an odd angle and causes it to pop onto the teeth and to make a sound reminiscent to that of dragging a loose link chain across concrete.

Check your alignment marks on your wheel adjusters, and make sure you put your spacers in the proper order on the correct sides of the wheel.

Comment

I'd also be pulling that sprocket cover off.

While I didn't hear any funny noises, the PO of mine had the front sprocket nut on not even finger tight, so the sprocket was actually held on by the bent up washer stopping the nut spinning off

I'd be double checking that if I was you, but the other suggestions here re: chain alignment probably make the most sense.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Pull the cover and have a look....what is it....8 bolts ??

Make sure the sprocket is tight. Look closely at how the chain and the sprocket are wearing. Alot of wear on one side or the other indicates a misaligned chain.
            I have very little free time to do this sort of thing, and I got it back together late last night. I just wanted to get some insight before I go tearing it apart again. I will go pull the cover off, but I may not get to it until Friday afternoon or evening. Thanks for your responses, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X