Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS Newbie needs some good advice ASAP, THANKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Newbie needs some good advice ASAP, THANKS!

Hi all!
    First I want to say thank you for all of the great info on this site. I have learned a lot over the past month about these great bikes.
    I do have a problem, and would sure appreciate some suggestions. I bought a 1983 GS1150ES off the net for $2500.00, the bike was really clean and only showed 16,700 miles. I picked it up at the previous owners place and rode it 1300 miles home. The bike drove fine and it was a great ride!
    Since then, I haven’t ridden it regularly. The last time I attempted to ride it, I noticed that I had oil dripping from my exhaust below the engine compartment and was spraying it when I moved the throttle. Assumed a big problem and shut it down.
    Took it to a local vintage bike shop for a look. Initially he told me it was probably carb problems, no worries. The next time I talked to him, he said it wasn’t the carbs, that something else was going on inside the engine. So I told him to pull it apart and see what the problem was. The initial estimate was about $1700 (to fix what I don’t know), then he pulled the head off and told me that the exhaust valve guides were shot and the cylinder bores were out of round. He estimated around $2500 to fix. When I asked him today to give me a break down of the cost, the estimate had grown to over $3000. New pistons, wrist pins, rings, valve job, etc. Just want to know if this is reasonable? I will post the official breakdown later today when I pick the bike up. Thanks for all of the help, I appreciate it very much!

Welcome...and let me be the first to say, "Never let anyone work on your bike, but you."

Seriously...you cannot afford to own these bikes if you pay someone to work on them.
    With this forum, a manual, a few tools and a place to work, you can fix just about anything your bike needs.

Now I don't know if this shop knows what they are doing or not, or if they are honest or not.
    But I would try to get your bike back as cheaply as possible, even if that means bringing it home in parts.
    And never do that again.

Show us some pictures...ask questions...see who is in your area to help...

And yes, we need pictures....

Oh, BTW...put your location in your profile so we know where you are.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150ERider View Post
      Hi all!
      First I want to say thank you for all of the great info on this site. I have learned a lot over the past month about these great bikes.
      I do have a problem, and would sure appreciate some suggestions. I bought a 1983 GS1150ES off the net for $2500.00, the bike was really clean and only showed 16,700 miles. I picked it up at the previous owners place and rode it 1300 miles home. The bike drove fine and it was a great ride!
      Since then, I haven’t ridden it regularly. The last time I attempted to ride it, I noticed that I had oil dripping from my exhaust below the engine compartment and was spraying it when I moved the throttle. Assumed a big problem and shut it down.
      Took it to a local vintage bike shop for a look. Initially he told me it was probably carb problems, no worries. The next time I talked to him, he said it wasn’t the carbs, that something else was going on inside the engine. So I told him to pull it apart and see what the problem was. The initial estimate was about $1700 (to fix what I don’t know), then he pulled the head off and told me that the exhaust valve guides were shot and the cylinder bores were out of round. He estimated around $2500 to fix. When I asked him today to give me a break down of the cost, the estimate had grown to over $3000. New pistons, wrist pins, rings, valve job, etc. Just want to know if this is reasonable? I will post the official breakdown later today when I pick the bike up. Thanks for all of the help, I appreciate it very much!
      DAMN!
      this is terry in ohio..
      call me if i can be of assistance...these numbers have gotten out of control.

Comment

The bore shouldn't be worn noticeably after the mileage you reference unless the previous owner ran the bike without an air filter or ran it low on oil. Same goes for the head.

When you say the engine was spraying oil, where exactly was this occurring? The stock exhaust system has drain holes to allow condensation and/or gas to escape. If the petcock was leaking fuel into the cylinder it would subsequently dump into the exhaust and out the drain hole, possibly fooling you into thinking the bike is leaking oil.

Changing seals and gaskets on the top end is not a difficult task so you might want to consider doing it yourself or finding a lower priced mechanic. I'd measure the bore before assuming the cylinder is worn. Most likely it isn't.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks again for the suggestions, here is the breakdown of the bill

Cylinder bore and hone $260 (labor)
          Cylinder deck $80 (labor)
          Weisco piston kit (+2mm) $719 (parts)
          Cylinder head guides $192 (labor)
          Cylinder head valves $320 (labor)
          Cylinder head deck $80 (labor)
          Kibblewhite valves guidee $160 (parts)
          Kibblewhite valves $400 (parts)
          Intake Manifolds (4) $100 (parts)
          Top End Labor $490-$560 (labor)
          Gaskets/Oil/Etc $150 (parts)

Total plus tax: $2951

Note that the bike was running when I took it to the shop, it just had oil dripping from the exhaust. The engine seemed to run fine. The shop did say that the bike was really clean, but looked like the motor had either been ran hard or had more than 16000 miles. The reason for the oil leak was given as the exhaust guides were completely worn out. The cylinder head is at a machine shop, I am going by there to take some pics tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Comment

I'm hesitant to claim fraud on anybody, but this sure smells fishy to me. Out of round bores? How do they think they will fix this? I agree that you should get your bike back and start over with pictures submitted here and patiently taking one thing at a time before you lose your shirt over this.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

The shop did say that the bike was really clean, but looked like the motor had either been ran hard or had more than 16000 miles. The reason for the oil leak was given as the exhaust guides were completely worn out. The cylinder head is at a machine shop, I am going by there to take some pics tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps!

Dave

16,000 miles? Come on...That is not near enough miles to wear out the motor, unless something else is wrong...
              They either don't know what they are doing or are just plain dishonest...

Comment

BS... run away...

Weisco piston kit (+2mm) $719 (parts)
                what's up with going to +2mm on the pistons? sure can't be worn that far or out of round at 16K miles.

***edit*** I smell someone trying to make a pay check...
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi Ed,

The oil was initially dripping from the left hand side of the first exhaust connection on the pipe. Its located near the left footpeg. It wasn't pouring out, just dripping. When I started the bike, I had a round spray pattern of oil below the bike about 1.5 square but not solid. Just light spray and spots.

Like I said, I rode the bike almost 1300 miles just a few months ago. It didn't smoke or use any oil on the trip.

Thanks again for the comment!

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The bore shouldn't be worn noticeably after the mileage you reference unless the previous owner ran the bike without an air filter or ran it low on oil. Same goes for the head.

When you say the engine was spraying oil, where exactly was this occurring? The stock exhaust system has drain holes to allow condensation and/or gas to escape. If the petcock was leaking fuel into the cylinder it would subsequently dump into the exhaust and out the drain hole, possibly fooling you into thinking the bike is leaking oil.

Changing seals and gaskets on the top end is not a difficult task so you might want to consider doing it yourself or finding a lower priced mechanic. I'd measure the bore before assuming the cylinder is worn. Most likely it isn't.

Comment

3000 dollars for a blown head gasket.
                    BS
                    Sorry
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Welcome !! Newport News......I've been there, many years ago....anyway.

Do you have metric tools ? How about a service manual ? Save yourself ALOT of money and do this work yourself, it's not difficult at all. You just need to educate yourself and have some time do the work. A couple gaskets, some valve stem seals, a honing ball, new piston rings and it's a done deal.

After all, that's why this website exists, so one can repair and maintain their bike without the use of seedy bike shops that refuse to work on our "classic" bikes...and when they will, they charge an arm and a leg.

I don't want to disparage the guy, but, I think he's trying to rip you off.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks Larry!

I do have all of the shop manuals that are available for the bike, and have a great set of tools and workshop. I do alot of work on old Mustangs, but have never wrenched on a motorcycle engine. I just don't know what I don't know, and don't want to screw something up too bad. I DO think it would be great to do this myself, if I think I could.

Comment

Thanks Larry!

I do have all of the shop manuals that are available for the bike, and have a great set of tools and workshop. I do alot of work on old Mustangs, but have never wrenched on a motorcycle engine. I just don't know what I don't know, and don't want to screw something up too bad. I DO think it would be great to do this myself, if I think I could.
                          Excellent! You have the tools, you have the shop and you have experience using both...
                          Car engine, bike engine...pretty much the same....

Besides, you could ruin the whole thing, buy another motor off eBay, rebuild that and still spend less than $3K...

Comment

Anything dripping from the left side would lead me right to the fuel system. Did the oil smell like gasoline?

I agree with most everyone here, get your bike home where it belongs.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Do a search for head gasket replacement, valve job, honing, etc.....

There's alot of people here to help you get it done.

.......$3,000......that's just crazy !!!
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X