Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS Newbie needs some good advice ASAP, THANKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a mechanic tell me my engine was shot and that I needed to rebuild it. After cleaning the carbs, fixing electrical problems, and adjusting the valves the bike is a strong runner and only down now for winter and making some other small changes to it. Like you I'd never worked on a motorcycle engine but hey, it's not that hard.

Good luck and looking forward to your riding stories.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well, thats it! Thanks again for everyone who posted an answer, I really appreciate it.

I am going down to the machine shop to take a look at the cylinder head in the morning. I want him to show me the issues first hand.

I will also be pulling my trailer to work to pick up the bike from the shop. I am certain I am going to need a few pointers from you experts on this, but I am much more comfortable now with doing it myself.

I owe you guys, thanks.

vr

Dave

Comment

By the way..........

That thing is BEEEAAAAUUUTIIIIFUUULL !!!!!!!
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GS1100ERider,

I just wanted to say "Hi" and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150ERider View Post
            I am certain I am going to need a few pointers from you experts on this, but I am much more comfortable now with doing it myself.
            It's a shame you didn't ask for help before this crook took the engine apart. What a jerk!
            Unfortunately he's not a minority, a lot of them pull this scam routinely.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

An interesting sidenote....

Howdy all,

As I mentioned this week, I went down to the machine shop this morning to talk to the tech about the work that was needed. I am from Missouri (which means too stupid to tell, you have to show me) and had him show me what work needed to be done and why.

The owner was very helpful and it was a good educational process. He took each step of the recommended work and showed me on the head/cylinder/etc why, which valves guides were bad and how to tell, and how to check the valves for pitting/etc. He told me that the head itself looked good, but had suffered some heat issues in its past, thus resulting in the work needed to get it up to pare. He did say that because the gaskets had already been removed when he got the parts, he couldn't tell me where the oil leak would have been coming from. And of course, thats what started this whole situation.

The shop itself was immaculate, lots of motors, parts, and tools. But I have been into a few machine shops, but none like this one. Almost an operating room. The owner told me that he had been doing this work for over twenty years, and used to race GS 1150's before he "got serious" about racing. His brother and him were the sole proprieters, and did all of the work themselves. He even mentioned that he could save me a few bucks on parts since he had some left over stuff from his 1150 days.

As we were walking out of the shop and into the lobby, I asked him about a life size spiderman figure in the corner, then I started looking around at all of the trophies and posters of "spiderman" riding a top fuel motorcycle. Turns out this guy is Larry McBride, world's faster top fuel motorcycle rider, and the first rider into the 5's in the quarter. He had just left a tour of OCC with their crew in New York, and was getting ready to do a exhibition run for TLC's "Pinks All Out" in the near future.

Needless to say I was a little awestruck. Larry McBride? Working on my bike? What do you guys think?

Comment

I think if you want to spend $2951 to have Larry McBride work on your bike, you go right ahead.

Me, I rather have the cash...

***edit***
                you only spent $2500 for the bike. I'll tell you what, take the $2951, go buy a different bike and I'll give you $451 for yours as it sits!
                (get my drift?)
                Last edited by rustybronco; 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Howdy all,

As I mentioned this week, I went down to the machine shop this morning to talk to the tech about the work that was needed. I am from Missouri (which means too stupid to tell, you have to show me) and had him show me what work needed to be done and why.

The owner was very helpful and it was a good educational process. He took each step of the recommended work and showed me on the head/cylinder/etc why, which valves guides were bad and how to tell, and how to check the valves for pitting/etc. He told me that the head itself looked good, but had suffered some heat issues in its past, thus resulting in the work needed to get it up to pare. He did say that because the gaskets had already been removed when he got the parts, he couldn't tell me where the oil leak would have been coming from. And of course, thats what started this whole situation.

The shop itself was immaculate, lots of motors, parts, and tools. But I have been into a few machine shops, but none like this one. Almost an operating room. The owner told me that he had been doing this work for over twenty years, and used to race GS 1150's before he "got serious" about racing. His brother and him were the sole proprieters, and did all of the work themselves. He even mentioned that he could save me a few bucks on parts since he had some left over stuff from his 1150 days.

As we were walking out of the shop and into the lobby, I asked him about a life size spiderman figure in the corner, then I started looking around at all of the trophies and posters of "spiderman" riding a top fuel motorcycle. Turns out this guy is Larry McBride, world's faster top fuel motorcycle rider, and the first rider into the 5's in the quarter. He had just left a tour of OCC with their crew in New York, and was getting ready to do a exhibition run for TLC's "Pinks All Out" in the near future.

Needless to say I was a little awestruck. Larry McBride? Working on my bike? What do you guys think?
                  when you called me i asked you if it was larry mcbride's shop

Comment

Hi Terry,

I didn't know who the shop was owned by until today. Its called Cycle Performance here in Newport News.

And RustyBronco, I DO get your point...lol!
                    And its a good one.

I just thought it was interesting!

Comment

Impressive.. If ya wanna spend it then go for it.

I take pride in knowing I did all the work myself.
                      Jes saying..
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

You are right Octane, just thought I would pass along the rest of the info. I am looking forward to getting to do this on my own.

:-)

Comment

Hi Terry,

I didn't know who the shop was owned by until today. Its called Cycle Performance here in Newport News.

And RustyBronco, I DO get your point...lol!
                          And its a good one.

I just thought it was interesting!
                          big name shops have big over head.
                          here is the facts.
                          i could find you(several people) could find you an engine thats either perfect stock condition or had work already ready done.
                          price range from 1000.00 and up.
                          i wish you was closer...i could make something happen and save you some cash.
                          ALSO:
                          not everyone is able to do there own work and that is nothing to be ashamed of...if that was the case then there would be no service types of shops/businesses in business.
                          a lot of people say they do there own work...thats great but i know a large percentage of the work that bob the plumber does to his bike is "sub par".

as i mentioned on the phone and no one else here has even brought up..
                          yes the dreaded helical gear clutch basket.
                          1150' eat these and who buy's an 1150 to ride like ms. daisy..NO BODY!
                          if you don't have one...you need one...one as in a heavy duty backing plate kitted basket.

if i can help in any way just give me a call.

Comment

When you get into re-machineing and replacing worn parts it gets spendy... I did the machine shop deal for getting my engine re-bored and necessary head work leveling everything off... if you decide to rebuild the engine yourself which is really easy with all the references avilable on this site adn a clymer. Asside from remachining and the inital valve check and carb sync I spent tons on just OEM parts... silly but I learned my lesson when I destroyed my first head becuase of oil issues... initated by the shop... which I then had to fight tooth and nail to get the redone head done No-charge... if you are going to replace pistons and everything GET WESCO Pistons... I broke a piston ring and had to buy an entire piston to replace it as they would not sell me just the rings - WESCO will replace such items for nothin.... Putting everything together and setting everything is really easy. Just DO Not for any reason try and do tasks that needs a specific kind of tool by something you jury rig... the right tools make the job much easier. And take your time over the winter cleaning everything up really nice the tiem is worth it.... not to mention when it is apart do any re-painting to make sure there is no rust or unprotected metal exposed of the frame when the engine is taken down and easily relocated... I wish I had done that and was kicking myself later but it turned out ok....Good luck
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scott,

I did buy the Wiseco pistons, +2mm. I didn't want to go too big. Its going to be a long term project, but fun!

Comment

Thanks Scott,

I did buy the Wiseco pistons, +2mm. I didn't want to go too big. Its going to be a long term project, but fun!
                                Good luck to you. Hint: Christmas time.. ask someone to buy you a clymer manual I hiave worn mine out with th ereading I have looked over the years... and itg is so dirty!

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                                X