Ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas ?

This pertains to my 80 GS1000E. per my last thread I've been dealing with what seems to be a clutch issue but now I ask my fellow GSR's for ideas, here's what I'm finding. Engine has 10w-40 motorcycle oil (Valvoline), stock steel plates, EBC clutch plates, and new clutch cable. When the engine is cold no problem will snick into gear, when on the road like at traffic lights still going into gear fine, up shift and downshifting are find but shut off the engine no go. If you start the engine in gear there is no lurch and it easily rolls with the clutch disengaged, I tried shutting off the engine and hold the lever in to see what happens and the same old story, there is something spinning in there that if I put it into gear it clashes like a HD!?! Any thoughts? Thanks
    1980 GS1000E

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
    When the engine is cold no problem will snick into gear, when on the road like at traffic lights still going into gear fine, up shift and downshifting are find but shut off the engine no go. If you start the engine in gear there is no lurch and it easily rolls with the clutch disengaged, I tried shutting off the engine and hold the lever in to see what happens and the same old story, there is something spinning in there that if I put it into gear it clashes like a HD!?! Any thoughts? Thanks
    i honestly can't pin point your problem from that paragraph maybe its my fault. if you have already gone through your plates/ springs etc. go into the clutch adjustment side on the other side of the clutch. take off the sprocket cover as well as the clutch adjustment cover. losen the nut/take it off and back out the push rod untill it comes out. check for any dirt/sludge stopping it. put the rod back in and turn it clockwise till the point of high resistance than back it out half a turn- tighten the nut. you may have to do this a few times to find out where your clutch adjustment likes to be! oh and are you revving the engine when put it into gear and say it clashes like a HD?
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
      i honestly can't pin point your problem from that paragraph maybe its my fault. if you have already gone through your plates/ springs etc. go into the clutch adjustment side on the other side of the clutch. take off the sprocket cover as well as the clutch adjustment cover. losen the nut/take it off and back out the push rod untill it comes out. check for any dirt/sludge stopping it. put the rod back in and turn it clockwise till the point of high resistance than back it out half a turn- tighten the nut. you may have to do this a few times to find out where your clutch adjustment likes to be! oh and are you revving the engine when put it into gear and say it clashes like a HD?
      The 1000 engine doesn't use a push rod to disengage the clutch it uses a rack and pinion, I put it into gear at idle speed, Thanks
      1980 GS1000E

Comment

sounds like your clutch is set to hard to me, try one of the service manuals on bass clif's site thats were i got all my info its a shame my help had nothing to do with your bike
        Originally posted by tkent02
        That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
        John 3:16

Comment

Why don't you pull the oil pan and look for metal?

Comment

Well thanks for the advice so far, just checked out the clutch found nothing amiss. So made sure adjustments were correct and went for a ride. Engine cold all well, after we got to operating temp it continues to work. After about thirty miles got home and shut it off. So we are back to what seems to be sticking clutch plates, that clash to engage first gear is there. Shut down again start it in gear with no lurching and after riding it and shifting a few times it's ok. WT?
            1980 GS1000E

Comment

Hey there MustangFlyr, still having clutch issues eh....First thing that comes to mind is possible steel plates that are warped. All it takes is 1 or 2 plates that are not flat to cause an issue like this. You said you checked them, but how ???....If you clean them real good and stack them one on top of each other, you can pick out the bad ones. Keep taking plates from the bottom and move them to the top, one at a time and hold them up to a good light source. If you see light, there is a warped plate in the stack. Make sure all the plates are facing the same direction (sharp edge down)....Also a slightly higher than normal idle speed will aggravate the problem...Does your idle speed creep up when it gets hot ????......Maybe you could ride it over to my house (right next to Hidden Hill on Monument) and you could show me what its doing. Call me if you like @ 641-2239 .....Billy

Comment

Working...
              X