81 GS750E - Minor rebuild questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750E - Minor rebuild questions?

So my "new" 81 GS750E leaks oil from every (presumably original) gasket on the engine. I was thinking this winter I'd break it down & replace the gaskets, if nothing else.. and give everything a good cleaning. Any suggestions on places to get parts (other than ebay, though suggest resellers on ebay if you wish..)?

In addition, beyond the usual carb work and the gaskets and checking valve clearances and tensioning the timing chain (and checking timing) -- any other parts that I should measure and/or just replace "because I'm in there" ?

Thanks all

Go with Suzuki gaskets
    Check the clutch basket for loose springs on the backing plate and a wobble. The clutch basket bolts do tend to loosen.
    If the bike has sat I'd check all the tranny and crank seals including the shifter seal. There is also an o-ring on the starter I'd just replace.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Besides all the engine stuff mentioned, don't forget the electrical system and the brakes/wheels/tires.

Last edited by Steve; 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Besides all the engine stuff mentioned, don't foget the electrical system and the brakes/wheels/tires.

Yup I'm more of an engine guy. Capable with electrics but it's a little messy. Jim (posplayr) can't look.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is VERY possible that your head gasket leak is just the orings gone bad on the front 2 center head nuts. Ray.

Comment

Working...
          X