Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox

hi guys I've been having problems with the gearbox on my 850. I would like to strip it down and check it but haven't done this before, how big a job would it be? Thanks Wayne

Hi Wayne, You would need to remove the engine from the frame, remove the top end (head, cyinders, etc.) then split the crankcase to get at the gears, shifter drum, forks, etc. If you only need to get to the shifter mechanism, then that can be accessed after removing the clutch basket, oil pump, etc. without splitting the cases.

What are the symptoms you are experiencing?

Is the 850 a "G" or "E"?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      Is the 850 a "G" or "E"?
      As far as I know, there is no 850E.

Your only choices are "G" or "GL".

Yep, ALL the 850s were shaft-driven.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Don it was a replacement engine that i purchased and when fitted to the bike it ran sweet though the clutch wasn't working. Took the clutch casing offto have a look and there were no springs in the clutch. Put new springs in the clutch and couldn't get the bike to go into gear, I could get it to go into 1st gear but wouldn'tt go up into 2nd. I stress this was only done with the bike on the centre stand and trying to engage gears by rotating rear wheel. It is a g shaft drive. Thanks

Comment

ok, WHY must the top end be removed? I've done a bunch of transmissions, unless the cases split vertically( and I doubt this) it is an unnecessary step creating additional work without need.

Comment

Good I do like less work if possible

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
              ok, WHY must the top end be removed? I've done a bunch of transmissions, unless the cases split vertically( and I doubt this) it is an unnecessary step creating additional work without need.
              The top end doesn't have to be removed.
              I've replaced a couple of transmissions in 1100s without even removing the valve cover...
              I am fairly confident the 850 is the same...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                The top end doesn't have to be removed.
                I've replaced a couple of transmissions in 1100s without even removing the valve cover...
                I am fairly confident the 850 is the same...

This is what I thought. my experience says the same, unless its a two stroke single, like a CR250 dirtbike motor.

Comment

Working...
                X