Starting trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting trouble

After sitting all winter I tried starting my 83 GS750ES.

No green neutral light - was fine in the fall when bike put away.

Installed new battery. Bike cranked well but I heard a valve clatter.

Checked header pipes. #3 missing a bolt which I replaced.
    Took off valve cover and checked valve clearances. #1 exhaust too wide at .008. I adjusted it to .004. All others spot on.

Replaced valve cover and bike cranks well again but does not start.
    I removed #1 spark plug wire and placed it near the plug, on the valve cover. No spark or clicking.
    Checked coils with multimeter, both ends of each coil read normal on Ohm scale.
    Do I need to have headlight connected to complete circuit and start bike?
    See tagged photo below. There are a pair of black/white positive wires going into a single brass plug. Does this need to be connected somewhere? I can't find any obvious connection. There is also a brown wire going into a single brass plug. I believe this is an accessory wire.
    cttp://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=42822&id=100000287081922&saved#!/photo.php?fbid=201822489837319&set=a.1839150549613 96.42822.100000287081922&theater

As is probably apparent, I'm pretty confused here.
    So any help at all would be most appreciated.
    thanks,
    baz

Pull a plug and see if you have spark by grounding it

Spark or gas

Any gas on the plug?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you try putting the tank on prime and filling the fuel bowls?

BTW, link does not work unless you have a facebook account.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
        BTW, link does not work unless you have a facebook account.
        Correction, the link does not work at all even if you have facebook account lmfao! it just says:

This content is currently unavailable
        The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Which in farcebook terms usually means that the persons photos settings are too high for "non-friends" to see!
        Regards,
        Andy
        Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
        Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Okay, here's the photo.

From left to right we have:
          2 wires together, black and black/white, are the Left Turn signal wires

2 black/white positive wires going into a single brass plug - (What are these wires for and do they connect to something? Right now, I can't see where they would connect.)

1 brown positive wire going into a single brass plug. (I've been told this is an accessory wire, for extra lights, etc.)

Headlight plug (Does this have to be connected to complete the wiring harness circuit so the bike starts? Or can I start the bike without the headlight being plugged in?)

2 wires, 1 green and 1 black/white, are the Right Turn signal wires.

If someone could confirm for me that this is the right set up and explain what the 2 black/white positive wires going into a single brass plug do, that would be much appreciated.

I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is fuel related. Maybe it sat too long with last year's gas but it just won't catch at all after cranking without a problem so I get the impression there's some ignition or electrical issue preventing the bike from starting. I may be completely wrong on that score.

The battery is new, the R/R is virtually new. I bought a new aftermarket R/R about 2 months before the end of last season.

The solenoid is also new from the beginning of last season - and I'm thinking the bike wouldn't crank at all if the solenoid was no good.

The air filter isn't clogged and as I'd said earlier, I took off the valve cover and the cam chain rotates smoothly without binding or galling. The valves seem to operate smoothly with nothing appearing to be out of sorts.

Also, for some reason, the green neutral light stopped working. It was fine when I put the bike away last fall.
          All in all, quite a mystery. The bike was starting and running fine last fall when I put her away. Now she cranks like all get out but refuses to start.

As I said, I'm very grateful for any help at all.
          thanks,
          baz

Comment

dont know if you need or dont need headlight to complete the circuit but you can use a test light or multimeter to complete it just as well

Comment

Use test light or multimeter to make sure you're getting power to ignitor- if you have tank off, with ignition on and killswitch off, check that you have at least 11 volts to positive side of ignition coils probably an orange/white wire. This wire then goes into harness and exits thru plug which connects to ignitor- a good place for corrosion. The neutral light will probably come back on with a little running.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So can anyone tell me what the two black/white positive wires going into a single brass plug are for, what their purpose is and if they connect anywhere?
                Same with the single brown wire going into a single brass plug.
                I think the brown wire is for accessories but I'm not sure.

The 2 black/white positive wires mentioned at the top, I have no clue what they're supposed to do.
                thanks,
                baz

Comment

So can anyone tell me what the two black/white positive wires going into a single brass plug are for, what their purpose is and if they connect anywhere?
                  Same with the single brown wire going into a single brass plug.
                  I think the brown wire is for accessories but I'm not sure.

The 2 black/white positive wires mentioned at the top, I have no clue what they're supposed to do.
                  Get yourself and wiring diagram for the bike and have a look.

Comment

Working...
                  X