GS1100e Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100e Engine swap

Anybody know for sure: Will the head from a 1981 GS1100E fit onto the cylinders of a 1982 GS1100E? I know they are both 16v engines but there is a difference in the 80-81 vs the 82-83.

Or can I swap the entire engine? Is the frame the same for an 81 and an 82?

My problem is the 81 I have is leaking oil like crazy. It doesn't seem to be the valve cover gasket; that's clean. But when I clean off the front of the engine oil runs down between the #2 and #3 cyl. exhaust pipes. It comes down both sides of the cam chain race and drips off the top cooling fin. If I had to guess (can't see exactly where it's coming from yet) someone drilled out the bolt holes for the exhaust pipes and went too deep.

The only difference is the head at the valve cover and the valve cover.
    24 bolts on the 82-83 valve cover to rid those pesky leaks.
    Totally interchangable besides that.

Also for that leak check the orings on the two inner head bolts. They are in the front next to the cam chain tunnel.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Since it is leaking in the front, between 2 & 3, my money is on the 2 orings on the front 2, center head nuts on either side of the cam chain tunnel. I've seen this to be the issue instead of the head gasket on close to 80% of them. Pull those 2 head nuts, replace the orings, clean the nuts & holes they go into REALLY well, re-install the nuts, retorque & see if that fixes the problem. Ray.
      Last edited by rapidray; 05-20-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Since it is leaking in the front, between 2 & 3, my money is on the 2 orings on the front 2, center head nuts on either side of the cam chain tunnel. I've seen this to be the issue instead of the head gasket on close to 80% of them. Pull those 2 head nuts, replace the orings, clean the nuts & holes they go into REALLY well, re-install the nuts, retorque & see if that fixes the problem. Ray.
        Good idea
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I feel stupid. I can't find the head bolts you're talking about. In a top view of the head I can see two head bolts between the 1 and 2 spark plugs. But I don't see the inside bolts and still can't see where the oil is coming from. Do I need to take the valve cover off to see them? If that's the case, how I don't see how oil from there leaks onto the pipes. What am I missing? the oil rolls down the sides of the tunnel for the cam chain and covers the bolt between the pipes. I see water drain holes up inside there from the #2 and #3 plugs but there isn't any oil near the plugs. And if there are head bolts up in there I just can't see them. Thanks for helping.

Comment

look inside and all will be revealed. just do one at a time when replacing the orings. Be a good idea to check the valve clearance when there aswell. Download a manual from basscliff's website

Comment

Don't have an 1100E engine to look at so this is from memory. The o rings keep oil sealed out of the bore where the head studs go through the head. It's under the big head stud nut, which is under the valve cover. This bore is open to the outside between the cooling fins, so if oil gets in there, it goes out all over everything.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Under the valve cover...found them. And thanks to a few minutes on the phone with Tom I understand how that o-ring allows oil to leak under the bolt and through the cooling fins. O-rings and gasket on order and it should be fixed in a few days. Valves will be adjusted while I'm in there.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                  Thanks, everyone. Under the valve cover...found them. And thanks to a few minutes on the phone with Tom I understand how that o-ring allows oil to leak under the bolt and through the cooling fins. O-rings and gasket on order and it should be fixed in a few days. Valves will be adjusted while I'm in there.
                  Thanks again.

I'm having the exact same leak on my '80 GS1100ET and didn't know where it was coming from. Glad you asked this Larry. Now I can fix it too. Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
                  X