Possible Clutch Pushrod Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Clutch Pushrod Oil Leak

Should I be able to see oil on the outside of the clutch push rod towards the worm gear?

If not, I think part number 22 is leaking on me (saw a possible oil leak yesterday from there but not sure as I didn't run the bike very long today - did see oil weeping from the seal and on the rod).

If I have to replace the seal I found other posts after searching that discussed drilling a hole and pulling the seal out. Do I need to drain the oil and remove the clutch cover, plates, and rod first before doing it though?

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-10-2011, 12:27 AM. Reason: added clarification
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Is it a drip or simply weeping?
    Mine weeps a bit.
    The oil can be seen as a thin film if you pull the rod out as well.

Comment

With the little bit of running I did today (didn't drive it just ran it) it looks to be weeping. However, after getting home yesterday, changing out the clutch cable, and test riding it, it seemed to be leaking from there.

I'm going to ride into work tomorrow and will check again to be sure afterwards.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        With the little bit of running I did today (didn't drive it just ran it) it looks to be weeping. However, after getting home yesterday, changing out the clutch cable, and test riding it, it seemed to be leaking from there.

I'm going to ride into work tomorrow and will check again to be sure afterwards.

Change the seal before things go totally bad. maybe the shaft got a burr on it and made the seal start to fail? I think there are a few posts on extracting the seal with a screw but one should be cautious doing so.

Comment

Coming into work this morning I noticed that area was leaking pretty good. Although I'll wait until this evening to verify it and order the parts, I am curious as to one part of the repair job. Other posts said to remove the rod and clean it. Can I pull it out from the clutch cover side without any other part falling out, tearing up, or becoming misaligned?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You don't have to take anything else apart, it's an easy peasy repair as seals go.

Check the countershaft seal too, a long as you are in there.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Check the countershaft seal too, a long as you are in there.
              That's the one surrounding the larger shifting rod right? It didn't look like it was leaking but there was a lot of grunge around it.

So I don't have to remove the pushrod? Just move it and clean it off?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
              X