GS1100G rear wheel noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G rear wheel noise

MVI 3872I have suspission what the noise is, but what do you think? I lifted brake caliper and is stil lthe same.Tell me again why do I have an old bike?

First I pryed apart brake pads, still same.
    Then lifted brake caliper, still same.
    Then took this vidio.

I have sus****ion, but what you think?

Thanks,
    Dave

DOnt now if that is vulgarity filter, or spell check.
    trying to spell sus-pish-ion.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Dave,

Does it make the same noise when rolling in the forward direction?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Spell check, Dave, it's SUSPICION.

My suspicion is that your splines might be going out. Put the bike in gear and rock the wheel to see how far it might move. It's not a definitive test, as you probably have not done this before, to have a comparison point.

The only real way to check them is to remove the wheel and inspect the splines visually.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

EW! That is indeed a Bad Noise.

Important question: Does the bike go?

I'm going to assume that the noise is coming from the rear end and not up in the secondary gears in the engine.

It sounds a lot like the splines stripped out, OR one of the bearings in the rear end (not the wheel bearings -- those seem fine) is toast, and the pinion gear is skipping over the ring gear.

Peel back the rubber boot over the u-joint, and make sure there's no play in the secondary gear bearing and nothing else seems amiss in that area. See if the u-joint rotates along with the rear tire.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ah, yah, bike is/was rideable (even with no charging system).

I noticed that didnt seem as easy to roll around in garage, and that rear wheel would not spin freely, so I pryed apart the brake pads and then wheel did spinn more freely (different story).
          But during all this I also noticed the squeek.

Splines/hub (called joint assembly in parts catalog microfische) replaced in 2006 with a new one, and I know about the moly lube every time rear wheel is off.

And I know about the extra "lash" when the splines are heavly work. Didnt think to check that, but I will now.
          And will see about when turn wheel foward.

Thanks for ideas guys.

I will see if sound coming more from shaft side, more from front or rear of shaft. Maybe remove the rear wheel and see what can be seen.

[ as I ask myself "why is it that I have old bikes?" ]

Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: PS: downloaded isspell but not getting it to work

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Have checked rear wheel lash.
            MVI 3873 Suspect problem with rear wheel hub splines. So checking rear wheel lash. Put in gear with engine off.

Seems okay (not like it was 5 years ago anyway).

My suspision now is that maybe the rear hub (in wheel) is dry of the moly grease. Has been 3 years since rear wheel off for tire change.

(not what I want to do this weeknd.)

Comment

Dave, check the drive pins where they fit into the metal clad rubber bushings. number 2 in this drawing.

I suspect either they or the splines are dry and the source of the creaking.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Dave, check the drive pins where they fit into the metal clad rubber bushings. number 2 in this drawing.
                I suspect either they or the splines are dry and the source of the creaking.
                Okay, Thanks again.

I am familiar with those pins and rubber bushings from having replaced the hub (Splines, joint, #14) before.

Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... one other possibility: I know you have Done The Right Things for your spline.

I bet the bolts for the retaining plates for your spline have simply backed out.

Re-install them with blue Loctite.

Pop that rear wheel off pronto, and let's have a look!
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    My suspision now is that maybe the rear hub (in wheel) is dry of the moly grease. Has been 3 years since rear wheel off for tire change.
                    The only way it would be "dry" of moly grease is if you never put any on.

Moly 60 will actually stay there for a LONG time.

The recommendation is to wipe it off (to take off any crud) with it and re-apply some new stuff.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Hmmm... one other possibility: I know you have Done The Right Things for your spline.

I bet the bolts for the retaining plates for your spline have simply backed out.

Re-install them with blue Loctite.

Pop that rear wheel off pronto, and let's have a look!
                      THat is my plan; to inspect rear wheel and hub.

But my "pronto" this weeknd isnt too pronto.
                      Is hot in garage,
                      and... we had our 6 weekold grandson for the day yesterday,
                      and... son and wife stopped in (after picking up '08 Triumph 1050ABS)
                      and... our daughter is visiting this weekend (and we went to spectate her running triatalon).
                      May get to it this evening.

ANd before any "popping" of rear wheel there are some sidebags and mounting frames to be dealt with. GK, you know.

Yep, there is Honda Moly paste on the hub/splines. I dont recal if I put any on the pins/posts. Maybe those are what is creeking/growning. THe bolts had a locking plate with tabs bent over to secure bolts from turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The only way it would be "dry" of moly grease is if you never put any on.

Moly 60 will actually stay there for a LONG time.

The recommendation is to wipe it off (to take off any crud) with it and re-apply some new stuff.

I dont recall if I put any on the pins/posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

ANd before any "popping" of rear wheel there are some sidebags and mounting frames to be dealt with. GK, you know.

I'm able to get the rear wheel off my GK by placing a 2"x4" under the centerstand..gives me just enough extra hight to drop the wheel without removing the sidebags..

Comment

Originally posted by Zmike View Post
                            I'm able to get the rear wheel off my GK by placing a 2"x4" under the centerstand..gives me just enough extra hight to drop the wheel without removing the sidebags..
                            Takes one hell of a grunt to get it up there, too... not recommended if you've ever had back problems.

I've accomplished something similar by positioning the rear contact patch at the very edge of a sidewalk (or some other discontinuity in the horizontal plane -- tires on a length of 2X10" or 2X12" works well). Put it on the centerstand, and the rear wheel will end up hanging nicely off the edge, making removal much easier.
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmike View Post
                              Hum, I thought I had to remove side bags so could get the bag mounting bracket off the schock mount, so could get the top of the schocks off, so could lower rear axle to low enough to clear the muffler.

Then to get wheel out from under the fender (even after removing the Fender extension) have to compress the front suspension (I use a cable come-along for that).

All of which would be so much easier on a lift that has the tail end drop out. <<heavy sigh>>

Anyway, got that all done in a bit over an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X