No announcement yet.

GS1100G rear wheel noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub didnt look dry. But was not nice grease looking either.

ANd it looked like the grease,er, Honda Moly Lube, had thinned out and was slinging away.

And I though I could feel a bit of a wear pattern by feeling along with a piece of stiff wire.

# % &

. . $%*& (&**&*&*&

. . @^%$#^ $^%%$$!@#@

. . .#@*&%^ !! !!

Wiped off a bit for the picture.

I installed that in March 2006 (shortly after getting the bike), about 23 thousand ago.

I last changed the rear tire in August 2008, about 8500 miles ago.
    Ew, ah, er, um, maybe that is the problem.
    Dern EleteIII GoldWing Tire just last too long.

The pins/post were a bit dry, but the hub just pulled right out. Last time (2006) I had to pry and pry, this time I just pulled it out by hand, and it didnt do any of the creeking and groaning, so I dont think it was the pins/post making that noise.

Maybe it was this wear that was making that nosie, and I suppose it could be. It did only make the noise when turning wheel backwards, didnt make the noise when turning forward.

So, I have to decide if to put it back together withn idea of replacing at next tire change (next year?) ... or let it sitt apart while waiting for part for 4 - 5 days.

Last edited by Redman; 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That spline is junk. I wouldn't put that thing back in service.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The dread gold colored spline, it was junk when it was new.
        But I'm not convinced it is the source of your noise.....

Is it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          That spline is junk. I wouldn't put that thing back in service.
          Ed, I am starting to think that also.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The dread gold colored spline, it was junk when it was new.
          But I'm not convinced it is the source of your noise.....

Is it?
          Hi Tom,
          I dont know if was source of noise either.
          Maybe, now that wheel is off I could find some way to turn the remaining rear drive unit, maybe use a strap wrench.

That spline is a new one I bought in 2006. But yah, does kinda look like the gold ones. Maybe if I clean up some more it might look silver again.

Here is picture from 2006.
          The gold one is what was in the bike presumably new stock original one from 1982 with only 28 thousand on odometer,
          and the silver one is the new one before it was installed in 2006 (and now the worn one pictured above at 52 thousand). THis picture has been around, so it might look familiar.

Last edited by Redman; 07-10-2011, 11:15 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Check the wheel bearings

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Check the wheel bearings
              Lynn,

... beacause of the hub spline wear? ... or beacause of the noise in the original posting?

but, okay, yah, I should. About all I know to do is to stick my finger in the bearing(s) and spinn around the inner race to feel that not any grunching, to see if it turns smoothly or not. How would you describe what I should do?

THanks,
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                So, I have to decide if to put it back together withn idea of replacing at next tire change (next year?) ... or let it sitt apart while waiting for part for 4 - 5 days.
                I've one sitting on the bench waiting for you to say the splines were junk...

PM me me your address.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

spline hub THANK YOU MAN

Dale (Dale, right?)

PM sent

Thanks Man.

Saved me, twice in one year now.

Dave

>>later note: Now PM sent.
                  Last edited by Redman; 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM. Reason: add later note.

Comment

Dale is correct...

I even cleaned it up a bit.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

ANd before any "popping" of rear wheel there are some sidebags and mounting frames to be dealt with. GK, you know.
                      Originally posted by Zmike View Post
                      I'm able to get the rear wheel off my GK by placing a 2"x4" under the centerstand..gives me just enough extra hight to drop the wheel without removing the sidebags..
                      How do you get the axle out?

Granted, my "Junior" GK (only 850cc) has some different framework than a "real" GK, but I do find it necessary to remove the saddlebags to be able to remove the shocks to allow the swingarm to drop.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Takes one hell of a grunt to get it up there, too... not recommended if you've ever had back problems.

I've accomplished something similar by positioning the rear contact patch at the very edge of a sidewalk (or some other discontinuity in the horizontal plane -- tires on a length of 2X10" or 2X12" works well). Put it on the centerstand, and the rear wheel will end up hanging nicely off the edge, making removal much easier.
                      I have accomplished pretty much the same thing, but by tipping the bike to put a 2x4 under the centerstand, one side at a time.

Yeah, it's plenty stable. In fact, by putting a 2x4 under just the left side, it tips the bike just enough to be able to change the stator without draining the oil.

Do the left side first, so the "lifting tab" doesn't hinder you by hitting the ground.

I last changed the rear tire in August 2008, about 8500 miles ago.
                      Ew, ah, er, um, maybe that is the problem.
                      Dern EleteIII GoldWing Tire just last too long.
                      Just out of curiosity, how is the tire looking? Nothing to do with your noise, just wondering how many miles you expect to get out of the Elite 3.

I went through three sets of them on my Wing. Averaged about 23,000 miles on each set.

Even after 23,000 miles, the Moly 60 looked virtually new, so I don't think that 8500 miles would be a problem.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rear wheel removal technique discussion now, eh? OK, my turn.

Tonight I took my rear wheel off to replace the spent tire. I got out two pieces of 2x6. I drove the bike up onto one of them (rear tire on it, obviously), then got off, put the second under the center stand and lifted. The effort to lift it wasn't much more than normal. The only possible problem is you have to get off the bike without using the side stand. A third 2x6 would cure that, I guess. Oh, and on my '80 shafties, you lift the wheel high enough to take the axle over the exhaust. There is a little bracket just ahead of the right passenger peg that you can shove a screwdriver through to hold the wheel up. A bracket on the left side prevents the axle from going below the exhaust.

On that spline, I'm also thinking there is something else going on. If there's a bearing bad enough to make that noise, it might also have allowed enough movement to cause the spline wear. I'm not sure why a bearing would only make noise going backwards, though.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I previously said the hub was not dry.
                          On closer inspection I see the lube is hard. I used the Honda Moly Lube, on original installation (2006) and on tire change (2008).

Was trying to wipe it off and it would not wipe off, had to scrape it off. Can see on the right where I scraped off som and on the left is where I tried to wipe it off.
                          I am wondering if when I changed the tire last time (8500 ago) if I did not get enough in there. I dont think I pulled the hub, just tried to press some into there.

And I see this. Looks like that rubber seal is deformed there in one place.
                          Dont know what to think about that.

Comment

I previously said the hub was not dry.
                            On closer inspection I see the lube is hard. I used the Honda Moly Lube, on original installation (2006) and on tire change (2008). .
                            Hey Redman, I'd appreciate a little clarification and additional info. Was that hub new when you 1st installed it and if so how many miles did you put on it before the most recent pic was taken?
                            Thanks,
                            Willie
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                              Hey Redman, I'd appreciate a little clarification and additional info. Was that hub new when you 1st installed it and if so how many miles did you put on it before the most recent pic was taken?
                              Thanks,
                              Willie
                              Hi Willie,
                              THat was a new hub in 2006.

That spline is a new one I bought in 2006. But yah, does kinda look like the gold ones. Maybe if I clean up some more it might look silver again.

Here is picture from 2006.
                              The gold one is what was in the bike presumably new stock original one from 1982 with only 28 thousand on odometer,
                              and the silver one is the new one before it was installed in 2006 (and now the worn one pictured above at 52 thousand). THis picture has been around, so it might look familiar.

Yah, is a bit confusing. THe new one in 2006 is now a worn one. These pictures QUOTED here are the pictures from 2006.

Last edited by Redman; 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X