Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is my starter clutch? 79GS1000L

1979 GS1000L

Well I pulled the rotor off after reading a number of posts about loose starter clutch bolts and a rattling marble sound. Sure enough, all three bolts were loose allowing for play.

Please share your knowledge. Are the grooves and dimples in the starter clutch an issue requiring a new unit, or can I bolt this back together with new springs (all 3 are different lengths) and all should be good?

Also - the threads on the bolts appear to be worn high up. Notice the shiny portion versus the dark color of the full threads. Is that wear or the design of the bolts?

The starter clutch gear looks perfect.

Thanks very much.

looks good to me.
    install new bolts and red locktite them...
    your good to go.

Comment

Thanks, and I used the center bolt pusher you recommended.

I'm installing 3 new springs and 3 new bolts. The one shrunken spring no longer secured its roller, which was in the middle of the clutch & rotor rattling all over the place.

Can't wait to get this buttoned up and back on the road. I've adjusted valve clearances, gapped the points, checked the timing, inspected the clutch plates, tightened clutch hub springs, and installed new clutch pressure springs, in addition to repairing the starter clutch as soon as the parts arrive.

Any advice on getting rotor back on?

Comment

impact its bag off.
        tighter the better.
        no need to lock the wheel ect.... ect..
        just let it hammer for 20-30 seconds depending on the power of the impact.
        i use red locktite on the taper of the crankshaft also...thats just me.
        maybe some blue locktite on the rotor bolt.

Comment

Well I fixed the starter clutch today as the springs just came in. Perfect. No more rattle. Thanks again for your help.

BUT, I screwed something else up. At first the bike was tight with no abnomal noise. Then top end valve clatter started and progressively got louder in short order. I shut down the bike a walked it home.

Sure enough I had left the manual cam chain tensioner loose. So I tightened that and secured it - valve clatter still there.

Any insights and thoughts? Maybe cam jumped a tooth?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Remove the cam cover, the points cover and check the cam timing and valve lash. after its all buttoned up, 'bar' the engine over to make sure you don't have any valve to piston issues. be sure and take a compression test before you fire it up to check for any bent valves.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
            X