Strange missing bit of metal on Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange missing bit of metal on Head?

Heres a pic, and in partcilar I have a question about my head that has this strange small missing section of metal (doesn't pierce) ..and a little bit of soot or something coming from that area. From my detectve work I already know there was a small carb fire, that seemed to melt the wiring harness ...

got a new-used wiring harness one from a 78' GS1000: will that will work on a 79'?

Any thoughts?

Are you talking about where one of the camshaft cap bolts has pierced through between the 2 intake manifolds?

Daniel

Comment

Strange one there. I'd pull off the valve cover straight away and have a peek.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I suspect the 78 wiring harness would work on your 79 if there are from the same models. although you should be aware there are two different models in both 78 and 79. one had self canceling turn signals (E model), the other did not (base model).

edit... there are three models in 1979. a GS1000N, a GS1000EN and the GS1000LN.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 10-30-2011, 11:26 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Are you talking about where one of the camshaft cap bolts has pierced through between the 2 intake manifolds?

Daniel
          Can you clarify? I used a Q-tip to brush through the hole, and nothing has actually cut through the metal, looks cosmetic to me. But I could be wrong...

EDIT: I took a 3rd look, this time up close with a flashlight and did see threads/bolt up in there. That's not a big deal, I wouldn't think..

EDIT 2: Maybe I should remove the bolt and place some red rtv on the threads, reinstall bolt to prevent it from leaking oil while running?
          Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            I suspect the 78 wiring harness would work on your 79 if there are from the same models. although you should be aware there are two different models in both 78 and 79. one had self canceling turn signals (E model), the other did not (base model).

edit... there are three models in 1979. a GS1000N, a GS1000EN and the GS1000LN.
            No worries, I only care about the ignition. I'm not interested in lights. This is going to be strictly a bar-hopper bobber.

Comment

It looks like somebody put the wrong length bolt through the cam cover and tried too hard to get it to seat, blowing the bottom out of the hole. It doesn't look like enough metal is gone to cause an oil leak. There should never be oil in the screw hole of course. The only way that could cause a leak is if enough of the casting has broken off to tear a hole in the bottom of the oil gallery in which the cams live. That hole doesn't look large enough for that, so I'd call it a cosmetic issue only. Well, evidence of a PO's incompetence too. Nothing to do with a carb fire either.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                It looks like somebody put the wrong length bolt through the cam cover and tried too hard to get it to seat, blowing the bottom out of the hole. It doesn't look like enough metal is gone to cause an oil leak. There should never be oil in the screw hole of course. The only way that could cause a leak is if enough of the casting has broken off to tear a hole in the bottom of the oil gallery in which the cams live. That hole doesn't look large enough for that, so I'd call it a cosmetic issue only. Well, evidence of a PO's incompetence too. Nothing to do with a carb fire either.
                You got it doc! Thanks.

Comment

If oil was allowed to pool in that bolt hole and the bolt was tightened down it will hydraulically push out the bottom of the hole. I have seen it happen on 6mm case bolts. If you are concerned then just add a dab of JB weld to the outside of the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBulletGS View Post
                    You got it doc! Thanks.
                    You're welcome. That reminds me, how did you deduce it was a carb fire? Just the heat from the head will make the connectors in the harness soggy-looking, if that's what you're seeing. Route the new stuff high up in the frame, don't let it sag down below.

Some blame it on the stator leg that goes through that connector, or the ignition wire. Both carry some power, and a dirty connector will heat up. Some also say that the stock wires are a little light to carry the power.

Here's a sample from my 1000G, next to the replacement connector:
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      You're welcome. That reminds me, how did you deduce it was a carb fire? Just the heat from the head will make the connectors in the harness soggy-looking, if that's what you're seeing. Route the new stuff high up in the frame, don't let it sag down below.
                      It looks a little charred =) ..still wondering if the 79 GS1000 and 78 are identical as far as charging and ignition goes. The manual wiring diagram looks the same, but I'm horrible at reading wiring diagrams.

When can I post more than one pic?

Comment

OK, that looks like a fire.

BassCliff has a tutorial for posting pics on his site, just below the flashing "read me" sign.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                        X