piston hit spark plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston hit spark plug?

i had gapped my plug to the proper gap a while ago....i pulled my number 1 plug out earlier and something has knocked it shut a hair...enough to where it has maybe a business card or gap...

any ideas?

not sure if po had any headwork done. the plugs i got in it are ngk b9es now...not sure what was in the bike

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
      You should consult your manual.

I have my old plugs next to me (For my 1100GK) and they are B7ES.

DP
      i dont have one in hand, i used cliffs site for a 82 gs850g...

Comment

For 1980 and newer the stock plug should be a B8ES. The B9ES is actually a colder plug and should only be used if you have issues with a B8ES. http://ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppor...lugs/index.asp

Neither plug should hit the piston. My GPz has about a 10.75:1 compression (Wiseco 810 kit and milled head) and the B9ES plugs (stock plug) have not had such an issue.

Comment

ok i went an checked, i got the b8es...maybe i did hit that number 1 plug?

everything looks ok...the bike did run ok before that had happened

Comment

If I remember, off of the top of my head, the factory piston to valve clearance is .030"
            The spark plug to piston clearance is probably pretty close to that spec as well.
            Did something get into the combustion chamber for the spark plug tip to hit?
            Usually a small piece of something metallic is involved.
            Are all of the plugs damaged?
            If the piston itself hit it, usually all of the pistons would hit all of the spark plugs if the head/cylinder was milled.
            A worn wrist pin could also cause the impact as well as many other less likely items. (loose con-rod bolts, worn rod bearings, etc.)

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              i had gapped my plug to the proper gap a while ago....i pulled my number 1 plug out earlier and something has knocked it shut a hair...enough to where it has maybe a business card or gap...

any ideas?
              A business card is close to the correct gap, what gap did you set them to in the first place?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

any ideas?
                How long was 'a while ago?'

I've never heard of a B8ES hitting a piston on standard plug or even a larger plug gap. What makes you think that it has done so? The closed gap on the plug?

If the piston had hit the plug you would see damage on part of the electrode of the plug. If there's no damage to that its not the plug.

What other work have you done recently to the bike? Valve clearance check possibly?

SM

Comment

Unless you dropped it on the floor before installing it,
                  something INSIDE the combustion chamber hit it.

Daniel

Comment

How many miles on the bike? Burn any oil or running really rich? Is it possible there is enough carbon built up on the piston crown to do this?

I've never ever had a plug contact the piston. I've used stock B8s, and 7s and 9s and never had an issue. Can you look down into the plug hole and see what the piston crown looks like?

Comment

Working...
                    X