Need help troubleshooting an odd issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help troubleshooting an odd issue

Alright, I have been reading all over this site (its amazing, btw). And Im going to list my issues and what I think I need to do to fix them. Im really looking to make sure Im on the right track, and get an outside view from the experts to make sure Im not overlooking anything.

I have had the bike for a few months now and my problems seem to not be getting any better. Ill start the bike, with no choke, and it will idle around 2000 rpms. It will occasionally surge to about 3k and then go back down to 2k all by itslelf. The choke does not appear to make much change at all, and if I try to give it any throttle it will go down to 1k and act like its about to die. It will then occasionally return to 2k and continue the surging. I would say its about 1 time a minute or so.

I dipped and rebuilt the carbs. But I only dipped them for about 2 hours each. I replaced all the o-rings with the kit, and also the carb boot o-rings on the engine side.

I think its running rich, and I have tired adjusting the mixture screws to 2 turns out but I did not notice any change at all.

My next thought is to check the valve clearances, and the carb synk. My next purchase will be the valve shim changing tool, a good set of feeler gauges, morgan carbtune, carb tool, and colortune.

I found the tool here.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Can anyone post a link to a good set of feeler gauges?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Casey

I also would like to join the valve shim club and get a hold of the member that has the excel document for figuring out what shims you need. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

Go to the GS Services section of the forum and you'll see the post about the Shim Club - contact GhostGS1 there.

Steve (name and username) has the spreadsheet. Look his name up in the members section and then EMAIL him for it (he needs the email address so he can keep track of who uses it).

Re-dip the carbs and do the valve adjustment. Also check your air filter and ensure it's still good. Then, do the synch after starting with your screws about 3 turns out. You'll adjust them using the highest idle method after all else is done.

Welcome to the forum too
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by THE_FATTIE View Post
        Alright, I have been reading all over this site (its amazing, btw). And Im going to list my issues and what I think I need to do to fix them. Im really looking to make sure Im on the right track, and get an outside view from the experts to make sure Im not overlooking anything.
        So far, you are doing just fine.

I dipped and rebuilt the carbs. But I only dipped them for about 2 hours each. I replaced all the o-rings with the kit, and also the carb boot o-rings on the engine side.
        OK, if you have done as much reading on the site as you implied in the first part of your post, you would know that 2 hours is simply not enough.

And, ... what o-ring kit did you get?

I think its running rich, and I have tired adjusting the mixture screws to 2 turns out but I did not notice any change at all.
        You "think" it's rich. What are your spark plugs telling you? Believe them, don't guess.

My next thought is to check the valve clearances, and the carb synk. My next purchase will be the valve shim changing tool, a good set of feeler gauges, morgan carbtune, carb tool, and colortune.

I found the tool here.
        http://www.z1enterprises.com/Valve-Shim-Changing-Tool-Suzuki-1696.aspx

Can anyone post a link to a good set of feeler gauges?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
        Casey
        Good choice of items to check, however:
        The "special tool" is optional. Some of us have a hard time using it and find the "zip-tie method" to be much easier.

Feeler gauges are available at Auto Zone, Sears, Grainger, Snap-ON, you name it, you can likely find feelers there, just make sure they go down to .03mm or .0015". I have seen many sets that start several sizes larger than that, they are useless for these bikes. Although many preach the importance of using metric feelers, I feel it's much more important to have and use a set of feelers, regardless of the standard.

Not sure what your "carb tool" is.

The Color tune works great with the older VM carbs, its effectiveness on the BS series carbs (like yours) has not been verified by me.

I also would like to join the valve shim club and get a hold of the member that has the excel document for figuring out what shims you need. Any help would be appreciated.
        I could give the standare "do a search" answer here, but there's more to come.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Go to the GS Services section of the forum and you'll see the post about the Shim Club - contact GhostGS1 there.
        See? I told you.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Steve (name and username) has the spreadsheet. Look his name up in the members section and then EMAIL him for it (he needs the email address so he can keep track of who uses it).
        Yep, that's ME, and it's all down there in my sig.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          So far, you are doing just fine.

OK, if you have done as much reading on the site as you implied in the first part of your post, you would know that 2 hours is simply not enough.

And, ... what o-ring kit did you get?

You "think" it's rich. What are your spark plugs telling you? Believe them, don't guess.

Good choice of items to check, however:
          The "special tool" is optional. Some of us have a hard time using it and find the "zip-tie method" to be much easier.

Feeler gauges are available at Auto Zone, Sears, Grainger, Snap-ON, you name it, you can likely find feelers there, just make sure they go down to .03mm or .0015". I have seen many sets that start several sizes larger than that, they are useless for these bikes. Although many preach the importance of using metric feelers, I feel it's much more important to have and use a set of feelers, regardless of the standard.

Not sure what your "carb tool" is.

The Color tune works great with the older VM carbs, its effectiveness on the BS series carbs (like yours) has not been verified by me.

I could give the standare "do a search" answer here, but there's more to come.

See? I told you.
          Yep, that's ME, and it's all down there in my sig.

I will admit that when I dipped the carbs I had not done as much reading as I have now. I dipped them about 2-3 months ago. Since then I have not had a lot of time to work on the bike. But quite a bit of time to catch up on some reading. The reason why will be posted below.

I know the kit I bought was the one mentioned in the carb dip guide. I want to say it was something like cycleorings.com but I cant remember exactly.

The plugs that came with the bike where BLACK. so I purchased new ones and have only had it running 1 time after installing them. Is 10ish minutes enough to get a result?

I thought about trying the ziptie method, but I dont want to chance breaking one and having to tear the whole engine apart to get it out.

The only feeler sets I can find locally seem to be way too big. The smallest I have found only go down to about 1mm from what I remember.

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

That is the carb tool.

And Steve I sent you an email through the site. Im not sure if it worked, but hopefully I will have a reply from you soon.

Hopefully that reply makes sense. How did you get the quotes to break up like that?

This is the reason I dont have much free time, Totally worth it tho!
          Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add the pic at the bottom

Comment

2 to 3 hrs doesnt afford enough time for all the passages or anything else to really get the scale and crud dissolved out of them..Me personally would redip each one for 24 hrs per body. You can do 2 bodies at a time in the gallon can of berrymans.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And you poked all the holes in the emuslion tube, the pilot jets, and the bleeder tube...right?? Be mindfull that the bleder tube has not only that little hole in the end, but theres a set right at the base where they go into the bodies and a set just slightly higher than the lower set. Get everything poked, carb sprayed, and air compressor blown out really good. Be sure the tiny hole in the pilot jets are clean too. Hold them up to a light and look in the end and youll see the hole i refer to. A good stiff wire from a wire brush works well to clean this one. Gently push and twist it thru till you can get it to loosen up and slide in and out rather freely.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Im not so good with all the "tube" names, but I did take a wire out of a wire brush and poked through all the holes I could find. Do you have anything I could referance to check to make sure I dont miss anything?

Comment

5TH one down..should have lots of pics and usually theres a schematic with all the parts and names right at the beginning of the carbs sections.

Comment

This is the reason I dont have much free time, Totally worth it tho!
                    Cute and QUIET when they are asleep.

Daddy's new toy, eh?

Dankiel

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
                      5TH one down..should have lots of pics and usually theres a schematic with all the parts and names right at the beginning of the carbs sections.

Im looking through, but It seems that the ones in the service manual are different carbs....

It turns out that the carbs I was looking for were 260 pages after the first ones... Who knew?

And yes, when she is sleeping she is adoreable. But when she is awake, the faces and noises she makes, all I can do is smile... Its way different than I expected...
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

I had a maxim 750 that used to do this exact same thing till I cleaned all the carb jets out, how did each of your jets look? did you unscrew them and blast with carb cleaner and compressed air? get em' clean and clear, sounds like a couple are clogged to me, very common problem...

Comment

It sounds to me like a bad air leak.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had the same thought as Chef1366 when I read your 1st post. Either that, or the bench synch is way off.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'll go for the trifecta

Carbs not clean
                              Air Leak
                              No sync
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X