need help , noise , video included ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help , noise , video included ;-)

I just picked up a 1982 gs850g , got it running and driving good , still need carb sync , but one thing bothers me is a noise coming from right side on the motor , allmoast seems like a cam chain , just wanted to know if its normal or needs work , here is a vidoe i took this morng any help will be great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNw2k...ature=youtu.be

i watched a few videos on youtube and heard same noise on a bunch of videos , still goint to have to locate the noise bothers me a lot , cant sleep !

Comment

Turn your bike off when you go to bed..
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

It sounds like the cam chain running over the idler pulley. It's hard to tell if the noise is excessive or not from that video, but off had, the noise sounds a bit excessive. It might be worth the trouble to pull the cam cover and inspect the pulley.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

It seems noisier than mine. Have you tried re-adjusting the cam chain tensioner.

Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It definitely could be a loose cam chain, or loose valves, or a combination of both. I'd pull the cam chain tensioner first. I've been able to that on my
            GS1100E with the carbs still on without too much difficulty, but I only had two screws to deal with.

The cam chain just might need a reset

You might want to check your oil level also.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

i will try to re-adjust the cam chain tensioner per the instructions above , thanks for all the help , hope it will work .

Comment

If you pull the cam chain tensioner for any reason, be sure not to turn over the engine in any way until it's back in place. Your cam chain will jump a tooth on the cam sprocket and screw up the timing (and more).

Comment

thaks , any infor is very helpfull

Comment

Erm.... Im not sure that is the cam chain... Its not on the righthand side... Its in the centre so why is it more.noisy.on the right?
                    I think it might be either a very large gap on one or some ov the cam lobes...
                    Maybe the shim(s) fitted are.spinning on the bucket tops...
                    Thats what it sounds like to me...
                    (I have a GS850 gz by the way.)

Good luck.
                    X

Comment

Working...
                    X