rebuild this winter..have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuild this winter..have a few questions

i plan on rebuilding one of my spare motors(never heard them run, but they turn over)...

anyways my questions...where do i get the lower end bearings, rings etc from..(z-1 dont have them?)

and id kinda like to bump compression up..these bikes have 8:1? or something right

Compression is 8.8 : 1. Bearings are available from Suzuki. Higher compression also creates more heat, and doesn't raise horsepower by very much.

Comment

I got OEM rings, etc. from Part Shark.

Comment

An 1000G or 1100G engine fits and is lighter to boot.

Might even be cheaper if you find a good one, definitely easier than a rebuild.

You can do any displacement or compression you want with those, anything you can think of has been done before.

I had a 1000E engine in my last 750E, it felt like how Suzuki should have done it in the first place.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Isn't the 850 a roller bearing engine? No plain bearings to replace. A good stock rebuild is probably a better choice than trying to raise cr a bit. Degreeing the cams is a good idea for more oomph. If you skim the head for more compression, your cam timing will be off and you would need to degree them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            An 1000G or 1100G engine fits and is lighter to boot.

Might even be cheaper if you find a good one, definitely easier than a rebuild.

You can do any displacement or compression you want with those, anything you can think of has been done before.

I had a 1000E engine in my last 750E, it felt like how Suzuki should have done it in the first place.
            isnt the 1000 or 1100 a chain drive? is it possible to put the chain swing arm on my 850?

so maybe a new timing chain for this winter then?...nothing wrong with my current motormaybe some new valve seals etc
            Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The 1000 comes in both flavors.

They 1100 eight valve engine is a shafty only.

Both fit the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                The 1000 comes in both flavors.

They 1100 eight valve engine is a shafty only.

Both fit the frame.
                well neato...forget rebuild...go bigger lol

Comment

There is something about driveshaft parts you need or something, find someone who's done it for info. I've only done it on chain drive bikes.

Comment

If you are going to re-build anyway and spending the money on all of the gaskets and bits,
                    why not just find a 1000G engine and 1100 cylinder and pistons and make it an 1100? (1050cc's anyway)

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      If you are going to re-build anyway and spending the money on all of the gaskets and bits,
                      why not just find a 1000G engine and 1100 cylinder and pistons and make it an 1100? (1050cc's anyway)

Eric
                      lol wow..quit putting these ideas in my head lol...

ive done decided to try an find a donor bike...ive located a "suzuki" bike..thats all i know..i need to go look at it some old man has it...might be that chain drive 1000 i want...but shaftie is really really nice...maintence wise

thanks for help guys....

also when do i know to replace timing chain..ive never done it since ive owned the bike...dunno if its factory or been done...or check it etc etc lol

Comment

Working...
                      X