Difficult to shift to neutral when stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult to shift to neutral when stopped

Bought an '80 gs1100 a few months ago, rode it a mile home and parked it to work on. Shifting was very notchy and could not get neutral with the engine running. Turns out the bike sat for 6 years and had more gas in the crankcase than oil. Swapped in new fiber clutch disks and fresh oil. Shifting is better but still can't shift into neutral when stopped with engine running. The cable is adjusted properly as well. Any thought on what else could be wrong? The clutch basket looked fine and there were no grooves on the fingers, had that problem with some dirt bikes in the past, but not sure what else it could be. Thanks.

Warped steels possibly?

A piece of glass and a set feeler gauges will tell you all you need to know.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That's interesting, my steel plates were not dimpled like that. They did have machining swirl marks on them though. I wonder if they are aftermarket. The previous owner drag raced the bike so they may have been swapped for something better. I'll have to pull it apart again after I get some electrical problems sorted out.

Comment

My first few bikes were Kawasakis which are dead easy to find neutral on. Then I got a Harley which was a real bugger to get into neutral when stopped at the lights - got good at getting into neutral while coasting up to the stop though. Then I discovered a way to get it into neutral - just rev the engine a little and then it pops into neutral. It works on my GS1100G too.

If you are stopped and it won't go into neutral from 1st, just blip the throttle a little and shift while doing it. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RKM50 View Post
          That's interesting, my steel plates were not dimpled like that.
          Is your bike a 78~79 GS1000? Mine is...

Comment

It's a 1980 gs1100e.
            I can get neutral if I do it before coming to a complete stop. I'll try blip-ping the throttle.

Comment

Examine and check the drivechain for proper tightness/slack.out or off spec.can cause shifting problems and more.Worth a look..

Comment

Originally posted by RKM50 View Post
                That's interesting, my steel plates were not dimpled like that. They did have machining swirl marks on them though. I wonder if they are aftermarket. The previous owner drag raced the bike so they may have been swapped for something better. I'll have to pull it apart again after I get some electrical problems sorted out.

If it has an aftermarket clutch plates and springs that could be the problem, they had hard lever pull, hard to disengage and were prone to dragging even when adjusted properly.

Comment

The clutch pull isn't very hard especially after I lubed the cable.

Comment

Just a foible…

My 92 1100G has always been like that, but I've developed my touch so I don't even think about it much.
                    It can be adjusted by replacing the little spring that pushes a tiny ball in the shift mechanism.
                    Yes, there is an thread about it in the forum, just search for it.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

im no master but i had the same problem on my 750, it was the pushrod adjustment maybe yours doesnt have it. Find a way to adjust your clutch start with the cable adjustment near the engine. You need about 2mm slack on the lever meaning there should be like 2 mm of free play when u squeeze before u feel any resistance. Also when u come to a stop and your in first, try letting the clutch out a little (move the bike up a few inches) and than quickly squeeze the lever and try to find neutral.
                      John 3:16

Comment

I often find it easier to find Neutral at stop by shifting from first to second and then down to Neutral.

Of course this is not terribly clever, so you probably already tried this. v0v

Comment

I've been having the same thing. Getting it into neutral from first is near impossible. I always have to shift back up to 2nd, then drop back down into neutral and even that is a talent and a half...you have to tap it just right, otherwise it goes right back into first.

Comment

If the cable is adjusted correctly, T A K E _ T H E _ C L U T C H _ A P A R T _ A N D _ M E A S U R E

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                              I've been having the same thing. Getting it into neutral from first is near impossible. I always have to shift back up to 2nd, then drop back down into neutral and even that is a talent and a half...you have to tap it just right, otherwise it goes right back into first.
                              My '77 GS550 does this as well. It is easier when it is warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X