Clicking noise coming from the chain at front sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking noise coming from the chain at front sprocket

I was adjusting the tension on the chain today, and noticed that it's making a clicking noise at the front sprocket.

The previous owner (the bike is new to me- i've had it two weeks) said that he replaced the rear sprocket to gear the bike a bit higher and replaced the chain at the same time (but no mention of the front sprocket - it is a 530 chain, so it must have been replaced a some point). The box for the chain was with the other spare parts he had, and it says it's a solid roller chain and specifically says that it's not for replacement of an o-ring chain.

So, two questions: Does the clicking noise indicate a problem, or is it normal? And is the solid roller chain a problem?

Take the cover off and take a picture for us.
    More likely than not, the front sprocket is JUNK.

Eric

Comment

Also roll it slowly and watch to see if the chain tries to ride up and if it does, note the spot and look at the chain..may be stiff links. Ive had mater links make roll over noises too.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Take the cover off and take a picture for us.
        More likely than not, the front sprocket is JUNK.

Eric
        I'll get the cover off tonight. I tried last night, but the screws are pretty stuck and it was getting late so decided a fresh start would reduce the chance of making a mistake.

On a side note, I think my emails back to you are getting lost in cyberspace somewhere. Could you look through your spam folder to see if they are ending up there? I tried to PM you as well, but your PM box is full.

Eric

Comment

You need a hand impact driver

Get thee down to Harbor Freight
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Or, Sears, Auto Zone, Kragen, etc.
            They are only about $20 for a set.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

I actually got one over the weekend because I knew it would come in handy at some point. Only problem is I left it in my dad's truck that I was borrowing at the time. I guess I'm off to his house.

Comment

Get your camera that you left in the truck also while you are there.

Eric

Comment

Well here it is:

Looks like its getting worn out to me, but I'll wait for your opinions.

Comment

That actually doesn't look all that bad, some wear of course but not completely wasted...
                    I have run them far longer with no funny noises.
                    Does it make the noise if you just spin the wheel by hand?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check to see if your right/left tensioners on the rear wheel are on the same setting.

If they're not it can cause the rear sprocket to be out of alignment with the front and cause a clicking noise @ the front sprocket.

Comment

Mine makes a lil noise,not to hijack,but, sprockets are decent like his and aligned.i just deal with it and adjust the chain when it needs it,seldome that is.Only when i roll it forward it makes a little noise.I run my chain a tad tigh i think tho.if i lift it and it goes and inch i leave it there.am i wrong in that?
                        And go to sears if u can't acces tool trucks., cause if you buy elsewhere?i have 3 sets and ended up buyin bits at sears,lasted me 3 years instead of 3 months.you get what u pay for.just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
                          Check to see if your right/left tensioners on the rear wheel are on the same setting.

If they're not it can cause the rear sprocket to be out of alignment with the front and cause a clicking noise @ the front sprocket.
                          I believe this is correct. I had the same noise, make sure your chain is lubricated and tight. It could be bouncing off the frame if not tight enough...

Comment

The sprocket looks fine, but if that's a non o-ring chain, it's junk from the get-go and won't last long at all.

Personally, I'd junk the chain (if it is indeed a plain roller chain and not a quality o-ring or x-ring chain) and install a quality replacement.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You might want to check the chain guard. My chain was hitting the chain guard just slightly in a few spots and sounded like a click. I just wedged some stick- on foam pads between the frame and the guard and it stopped. I think those plastic chain guards have a tendency to warp over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X