Time to retorque whats the order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to retorque whats the order

Had a mechanic redo my top end with rings and gaskets. it is weeping/ leaking slightly now in front and now I read at now mile 552 that i should have retorqued at 500. What is the correct order to tighten/ check them and do I remove the valve cover ends to do the ones on the outside

1979 gs 850

Id take it back to the mechanic but he put " 3 sets of gaskets in " before he got it to stop leaking and frankly i dont trust him.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2012, 10:37 AM.

Good for not trusting the mechanic.

The tightening sequence is actually cast into the head, but will be covered by the valve cover.

Do you have a service manual? A copy of the factory manual is available as a pdf on BassCliff's "little" site. Get a copy of that, then look on pdf page 67 (manual page 7-14}. It's a little hard to read the numbers in the picture, but they are there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks

I followed the pattern in the 1000g as I couldn't find the 79 850: basically middle out front to back alternating. Most were 1/8th turn short. Test ride to check 4 leaks tomorrow. How do I know if the gasket is "blown" or needing yet another replacement?
      If it does. I can only afford to do it myself and will have a few questions. For sure . Thanks for the fast feedback.

1979 850g w vetter hard bags and trunk. Leaks around 10mm front center bolt.

Ps where do you host images?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
        Leaks around 10mm front center bolt.
        There are no 10mm bolts on the engine.
        You are probably talking about the little 6mm bolt that has a 10mm head.
        Fasteners are labeled by the size of the shank, not the size wrench used on it.

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
        where do you host images?
        An overwhelming favorite is Photobucket.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks

Yep. Probablly 6mm. Definately 10mm head.
          So if its leaking still is it "blown". Or does it just have a leak and watch the oil level close?

Comment

The thread right next to yours (right now anyways) seems to be about the same issue. One response linked to this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=167068

Not sure if it applies to your engine, but figured it would be worth looking into.

Comment

I checked out the link looks like my bike is different its an 79' gs 850 and that one is an 1983 gs1100e. Thanks though would have been a nice easy fix.

Comment

Working...
              X