valve shim tappet tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shim tappet tool

is this tool the correct one for my 8 valve bike?

the "cup" seems really small. I found myself imagining that it's meant for a smaller size shim and that maybe the 16v engines have smaller shims (no idea if this is true).

that is the correct one for the job,the "cup" fits under the camshaft, next to the lobe
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

Yes, that's the tool. It takes a little practice. Some members like the "zip tie method". You'll find it on my website.

For more information: Valve Adjustments (8 Valve) (PDF file).

DO NOT rotate the cams if there are any shims removed. You must have a shim in every bucket when turning the motor or you will damage the cam lobes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Darn near effortless.

Eric

Comment

Nice photo!

The trick to using that tool is to get it started, and then pull the handle sideways toward the cam lobe as you push down to insert it the rest of the way.

If you just try to push straight down, it'll pop off the bucket every time. Which leads people to invent workarounds like the zip-tie method.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I should have included the easy to remove method picture also.
            Use a pick to lift the shim and hemostat to grab it.

Eric

Comment

Some assembly lube on the part of the tool that depresses the bucket helps, too. The tool is softer than the parts. It will leave very trace amounts of itself if not lubed.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                The trick to using that tool is to get it started, and then pull the handle sideways toward the cam lobe as you push down to insert it the rest of the way.
                I'll have to remember that! First time I've heard of that. Now that I once again own an 8-valve Suzuki...
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I use a small screwdriver along side the shim tool to keep it from slipping off. Works for me.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

freakin spectacular. thanks so much everyone, especially eric. great photos. i might have figured that out eventually but that was a huge help.

i used the zip ties last time and swore i would never do it again. nothing wrong with it, it works ok but man you have to turn the lobes so many more times to do it that way and it's such a huge pain. this tool is tremendous - was such a cinch.

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                      freakin spectacular. thanks so much everyone, especially eric. great photos. i might have figured that out eventually but that was a huge help.

i used the zip ties last time and swore i would never do it again. nothing wrong with it, it works ok but man you have to turn the lobes so many more times to do it that way and it's such a huge pain. this tool is tremendous - was such a cinch.
                      Ask TimTom for help if he can be near you some time.
                      He caught on really quick with me snapping the whip.
                      (I was relentless.)

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Ask TimTom for help if he can be near you some time.
                        He caught on really quick with me snapping the whip.
                        (I was relentless.)

Eric
                        no doubt - you had to get him back on the road and out of your hair!

seriously, that tool makes it easy to the point that i can't believe someone bothered figuring out it was possible to do with zip ties. what a hassle that was! i'll pay the $12 for the right tool any time.

anyway, only got through 2 valves last night and they're way out of whack. will hit up the remainder soon. thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          The trick to using that tool is to get it started, and then pull the handle sideways toward the cam lobe as you push down to insert it the rest of the way. If you just try to push straight down, it'll pop off the bucket every time. Which leads people to invent workarounds like the zip-tie method.
                          This is the secret to success with the valve tool. As I learned rather quickly.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I use a small screwdriver along side the shim tool to keep it from slipping off. Works for me.
                          This also helps. The key is the sideways pressure against the lobe. Without this pressure the tool will slip off.

Thanks to Eric I mastered this technique

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Yes, it works very well.
                            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

At last, a handful of forum members that are not too cheap or ham fisted to use the correct tool for an easy job. Some members may even be surprised to know that there are some of us that actually know when and how to use an easy out without breaking it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X