New noises??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New noises??

Hello everyone, I'm a real newbie when it comes to working on motors so this might be a dumb question but after cleaning and reassembling the carbs and airbox everything is running fine, much better than before actually... except I hear what I can best imagine is a slapping noise coming from the cam chain area when I'm slowing down, its really bad in 4th, and the noise goes away as soon as I pull in the clutch. Each day I ride it gets progressively more apparent. I've been looking up a lot of info on cam chain tensioners as I thought it might be that but not sure if I'm on the right track, any ideas?

A slapping nosie while riding is more likely your drive chain

Does the bike make the noise when you put it on the centerstand, start it up and rev it?

If not, it's not the cam chain
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

What bike are we talking about? Shaft drive or chain drive? GS300 or GS1150? Somewhere in between?

Have you?>>> New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        A slapping nosie while riding is more likely your drive chain.
        I have never heard a slapping noise from any of my drive chains.

Oh, wait, I don't have any drive chains.

Can't make any assumptions, as the original poster has not yet disclosed what bike he is talking about.

Jerobi, how about going into the User CP section and adding your location, then making a signature that shows your bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, thought I edited my sig but I guess it didn't work. I'm working on a '78 GS750.. Doesn't make any noise while idling or reving on the center stand tho

Comment

my buddy has a gs750 and if the chain is to loose it will have that slapping sound when slowing down

Comment

Originally posted by Jerobi View Post
              Sorry, thought I edited my sig but I guess it didn't work. I'm working on a '78 GS750.. Doesn't make any noise while idling or reving on the center stand tho
              I'll bet that if you check the chain while rotating the back wheel, you'll find a "tight" spot in the chain
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch while riding,
                it is most certainly NOT the drive-chain.
                Check that cam-chain adjuster setting.
                I believe there is a rebuild tutorial in Basscliff's site if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
                  Check that cam-chain adjuster setting.
                  There is no cam chain adjuster setting.

It either works or it doesn't.

The drive chain is easy to check. Take a look. I bet the sprocket teeth are all hooked.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Took a look and the chain was way too loose (about 4" of play) probably what was making the slapping sound. I've tightened the chain but while now while rotating the wheel on the center stand theres a spot where it gets real hard to turn. Is this because I didn't balance the wheel right and its still off center or something wrong with the chain?

Comment

The chain and sprockets are shot.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What a bummer. I took out 5 bolts out that hold the sprocket cover on and set the gear shifter aside but still can't seem to remove the cover. Is there something else I have to remove before I can get this off

Comment

Also I'm not sure if the chain or sprockets have ever been replaced or serviced, highly doubtful, but there are 23,000 miles on the bike now so I'd assume it would be a good time to replace yeah?

Comment

What a bummer. I took out 5 bolts out that hold the sprocket cover on and set the gear shifter aside but still can't seem to remove the cover. Is there something else I have to remove before I can get this off
                            Tap the cover around with a rubber mallet or piece of wood, should break free I would think providing all the bolts/screws are removed.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Also I'm not sure if the chain or sprockets have ever been replaced or serviced, highly doubtful, but there are 23,000 miles on the bike now so I'd assume it would be a good time to replace yeah?
                              You should be able to determine how bad the sprockets are by looking at them. But you won't know how bad your counter sprocket is until you get in there.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X