GS1000E Rotor Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000E Rotor Removal

Hey guys, just wanted to check, the nut that holds on the alternator rotor is it a right hand or left hand thread please before I apply an impact driver

normal threads.
    pre 80 can use a bolt to push it off and 80- and up should have a nut and take a special puller?

Comment

Many thanks Blowerbike, so its the normal anti clockwise to rmove the alternator nut. Have got the rotor puller coming in the post

Comment

Struggling to loosen the rotor nut with a impact driver is it okay to use some heat on the nut guys

Comment

use a very long bar on the end of a socket to give extra leverage or put a spanner on it and give it a good whack with a hammer to crack the bolt loose
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know

Comment

No joy, really need your help guys to get this starter clutch sorted. Falling at the first hurdle unfortunately cannot loosen the alternator retaining nut it is mega tight. Have tried an impact driver and shocking it by hammering a ring spanner. What other ways can I try?

Comment

You should try some penetrating oil and a bit of heat, then trying to break it loose. Take your time
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Air impact gun and a socket. Zing! and it's off. Then use the proper puller to remove the flywheel.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Will give the penetrating oil and heat ago. Unfortunately I don't have access to an air impact gun unfortunately. How do you guys stop the rotor from turning whilst undoing the nut?

Comment

Rotor removal

Hi gs79. There is a suzuki service tool to hold the rotor, thats what the blind holes are for on the outside of the rotor. Penetrating oil will do nothing and excess heat will damage the magnets. If you put your clutch back together temporarily, old parts will do. Then put the bike in gear, 2nd should do and get someone to help by standing on the rear brake while you loosen the rotor bolt/nut. use a long socket breaker bar and a good fitting socket. When you refit it tighten it to the correct torque using the same method, if it comes loose your starter clutch will freewheel and the rotor will chew up the end of the crank. Where in UK are you.
                      Cheers Dennis
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by gs79 View Post
                        How do you guys stop the rotor from turning whilst undoing the nut?
                        Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                        If you put your clutch back together temporarily, old parts will do. Then put the bike in gear, 2nd should do and get someone to help by standing on the rear brake while you loosen the rotor bolt/nut.
                        Second gear might work, it's best to use the highest-numbered gear possible for best mechanical advantage.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by gs79 View Post
                          Will give the penetrating oil and heat ago. Unfortunately I don't have access to an air impact gun unfortunately. How do you guys stop the rotor from turning whilst undoing the nut?
                          If it's at all possible, load the bike onto a trailer and take it to a local 'engineer' (mechanic), front him a few Quid, and let him do the work for you.

Or put the bike in gear and apply the rear brake to keep the crank from turning as was suggested.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

beg borrow or buy an impact.
                            every time i tried the "in gear/brake on" thing the suspension would just wind up.
                            crank needs to be solid or have the shock of an impact.

Comment

Hi Dennis, I am in North Lincolnshire, S****horpe my friend

Comment

Working...
                              X