gs 1150 engine ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1150 engine ticking

Since buying this bike in '99 its had an annoying ticking in the engine. first a little history, as i think it may shed some light on the problem...I purchased it after a 12 year slumber with just 1200 miles on it... i believed the mileage to be true, due to the fact that all the suspension linkage, and parts that are only clean once....were spotless.It had been crashed,however as evidenced by the gs 1100 stator cover and replacement fairing. Plus welded on front engine mounts discovered later. It also had a bald rear tire with rubber crumbs inside the fender. At first,i figured it was valves,as it still had the 600 mile service sticker on the speedo. i took it in for its first service at 14 years old. It still had the tick. At about 5000 miles ,it began running terribly. I had recently adjusted the valves ,and figured maybe they were tight. After peeling off the valve cover,i noticed that a pair of exhaust valves had one stuck open. i removed the head and found a screw stuck under a valve. Damage was minimal, just 2 bent exhaust valves. Head,cylinder, and piston were fine. i replaced the bad valves, adjusted the valves, and...more ticking. At 19,000 miles ,it still ticks. Its first noticeable at idle after warming up for 4-5 minutes. Also in any gear at 3000-3400 rpm, it can be heard. After reading countless posts, im guessing clutch or starter clutch issues. I checked the cam chain tensioner per the suzuki factory manual, and it seems to be ok. Thanks for any advice.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

There is one screw in the front of the clutch cover. If the wrong one is installed ( to long of a screw ) it will hit the clutch basket making a slight noise I have seen them cut what looks like threads in the outer edge of the clutch basket. Or you still got a screw or nut bouncing around in there. Or are you use to the noisy top end of the GS models
    My stable
    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Have you actually removed cam chain tensioner and reset it correctly to be sure?

With all your repair work, have you pulled stator cover and checked for loose parts clinging to rotor magnets ?- if really ambitious, pull rotor and inspect starer clutch.

Any idea where the jammed-under-valve screw came from?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My head ticks no matter how well the valves are adjusted.
        These 16 valves are just noisy.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had to replace the burnt up stator a few years ago, and all seemed well in there, although i didn't thoroughly check the starter clutch. It was done at my last house in the driveway at night, before a 3 day weekend ride. ( hastily- poor i know.) As for the cam chain tensioner, i would like to revisit that, as ive never held it in my hand. I also had to replace the clutches (fibers only)shortly after putting it on the road. they were initially stuck, then slipped like crazy when freed up. Ill check the bolts. As for the mystery screw... i have no idea. i never removed the spark plugs before getting it running, and didn't have them out until much later- honestly! i would admit it, as it wouldn't be my first time losing things in the cylinder -different bike. It was a small phillips head that looked like it could have been a body or trim screw. My garage is currently a shambles after losing my shed due to hurricane sandy. There are yard and garden tools perilously close to my cycle. When space, temperature, and time allow i will look into these. Thanks
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I always have a ticker when I adjust the valves. Just seems to be the nature of the beast when it comes to 16 valves.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X