Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying click and stutter

im pretty sure i have this down...but i wanna run it past you guys

i have what sounds like a loose valve...but i olnly hear it tick about 5 to 10 times when i pull the clutch in coming to a stop, or sitting still...just those few ticks and it stops...sometimes it does it once, maybe 2 times...but theres always a pause...

and the 1/8 or so throttle (crusing in town) it has a studder...i feel the airbox kick a little, which is obviouly a carb backfire

bike is a 81 850....all common maintence was done, until this click came along a few hundered miles ago

anywho this is my though that the shim somehow is to small?

"loose valve" ? you mean too much clearance? when did you last check them?
    This low speed "studder" is it a new-to-you feature? arriving with the click?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      "loose valve" ? you mean too much clearance? when did you last check them?
      This low speed "studder" is it a new-to-you feature? arriving with the click?
      they were all in spec roughly 500 to 1000 miles ago, and yes its all new

also the problems didnt start at the same time
      Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

If that was your first valve adjustment, and you had to make several changes, it would not hurt to check them again.

Now that the valves have been happily hammering themselves into place with the proper clearances, things might have changed a bit, requiring another check.

Do you remember what shims are in there? Do you remember what your clearances were? My spreadsheet will help with that.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If that was your first valve adjustment, and you had to make several changes, it would not hurt to check them again.

Now that the valves have been happily hammering themselves into place with the proper clearances, things might have changed a bit, requiring another check.

Do you remember what shims are in there? Do you remember what your clearances were? My spreadsheet will help with that.

ah gotcha....i wrote down the shims i took out, and the ones i replaced...i dont know them right off, ill have to look at my sheet...

i ordered a valve cover gasket an will check then

Comment

Working...
          X