Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold 2nd shift very hard

Hi all,

Transmission and shifting question: when I start out in the morning on my '81 GS850G the shift from 1st to 2nd is very hard. Sometimes it feels like I wont be able to shift it. It gets better after a few blocks and is smooth and easy once the bike is warmed up. The all other shifts seem fine cold or warm.

One other item that might be relevant if the bike is in 1st and cold when I start it bike tries to move forward even though the clutch is in. This only happens for a moment. I am thinking this is cold and sticky clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

First make sure your cable adjustment isn't too loose. (Maybe time for a new one?)
    If that doesn't fix it see if your clutch plates and fibers are worn.
    While you are in there make sure your clutch basket isn't chewed up.
    Make sure the center hub is tight.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When was the last time you changed the oil?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

yep, that symptom sounds more like an oil problem,too old or too thick. do an oil and filter change and see if it cures it
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This.... ^
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I changed the oil and filter about 2 months and 200 miles ago. It has 16k miles. I have no idea on the clutch history.

I will check the cable adjustment.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
              I changed the oil and filter about 2 months and 200 miles ago. It has 16k miles. I have no idea on the clutch history.

I will check the cable adjustment.

Thanks.
              what oil did you use?
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X