Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whould you like to touch my monkey? a question about Sprockets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whould you like to touch my monkey? a question about Sprockets.

think I may have damaged the sprockets yesterday while "fixing" my bike. since I'm about to change the chain anyway, I guess I'll swap those out as well.

question:
    anything I need to know other than the teeth count (48/14)?

Watch TV shows and movies online. Stream TV episodes of Shōgun, Grey's Anatomy, This Is Us, Bob's Burgers, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Empire, SNL, and popular movies on your favorite devices. Start your free trial now.

cant watch your video....sorry

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States
    Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

Comment

Dang you American's..
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        cant watch your video....sorry
        Originally posted by azr View Post
        Dang you American's..
        Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

It was a Saturday Night Live video called "Sprockets".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

im as happy as a little girl.....
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

the video is for pun purposes only.

the only reason i ask the question is when I do the search on any parts dealer, they give me quite a few options that aren't the size in the manual.

Comment

One of the "advantages" of having easily-replaceable sprockets is the ability to change your final drive ratio.

If you are more interested in acceleration, you could drop one tooth from the front sprocket or add a few to the rear.
              If you are interested in slowing the engine down a bit at any given road speed, you could add a tooth to the front or drop a few from the rear.

Note, however, that even though you slow the engine down, you might not get any better gas mileage if you drop the engine out of the power band and have to add throttle to make up for it.

Besides tooth count, you also need to be aware of how many bolts hold the sprocket on and whether there is any offset. Those kinds of details should be listed for any given bike, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of them, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

another thing i think i've heard is it is better to have one odd and one even tooth count? something about how the system wears as it rotates around. hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or contradict this and elaborate..

greg
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                X