No announcement yet.

Ring Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just signed in to see what was happening, saw this, thought I would make a comment or two, coming from someone who reads a LOT more than he posts.
    Originally posted by mavrik View Post
    Can anyone tell me the ring size (all measurements) for a 79 GS750...
    This is a rather broad request.

Originally posted by Nessism
    If you already had all the specs EXCEPT for ring width, then why didn't you ASK for that?

Your question comes across like you are expecting to be spoon feed.
    True enough.

If you were looking for specific information, it would have come across a LOT more friendly if you had asked something like:
    "I have looked in my manual, but can not find the specification for the ring thickness of a GS750. Does anybody happen to know what it is?"

It actually came across more like: "tell me everything you know about my bike".

sorry but telling me to look in my manual is of no help to me... the information I am asking for is not in any manual...
    As shown a bit later, it evidently IS in the manual.

... put yourself in my shoes... you come here to tap into the experience of hundreds of guys who have done this work and amassed a great wealth of knowledge, and you ask your question and all you get is "look in your manual"...
    That's because all of the information that is usually NECESSARY is found in the manual.

so as for only 3 posts maybe this is why I have only three posts...
    I looked at your other (earlier) posts, was not impressed with them, either.

wow I guess everybody here comes with attitude...
    Yep, and you appear to be part of "everybody", because you seem to have an attitude, too.

Originally posted by derwood View Post
    the ring thickness specifications and wear limits are on page 26 of the suzuki manual,
    sorry for the young kids' attitude,
    Why are you apologizing for his attitude? You didn't create it, did you?
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Again - amusing.

If you read the original post and see what it is that he is trying to achieve, what he asks is perfectly reasonable.

The manual doesn't give enough info to be able to source alternative rings.

It is therefore a reasonable request on here to ask what he did in the hope someone has done the same previously or has the required info to hand.

If everyone who asked an oddball question was met with the reply "look in the manual" this would be a sad forum indeed....

Comment

Was going to post a few observances as to how some guys can be really helpful with a quick reply and sometimes come off as a wiseazz may they try or not?
        And how some are newbies that are really fed up with there search found this kickazz site and posted the question that is holding them up on their rebuild without reading forum stuff first.
        Did anyone get the results they wanted with this thread?
        Though someone posted the numbers I think everybody was discouraged with what they have been taught.
        I know I am!

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          Really Cowboy, and you give advice that you don't have knowledge of. like telling people that head bearing shims aren't nessary, when that actually could lead to serious accident.

Telling people to look it up or do a sesrch is no help. Might as well just say nothing. Just as helpful to the problem, but less atitude.
          So I went back and read my response you so slightly reference here and much like the puppet master you like to refer to, neither of you read it very well. I said I think it will be okay. In no way did I give him advice that should be taken as gospel. However, my comment was made after looking at the stem sitting in my frame at the same location as before then verifying it with someone else. At no time have I ever claimed to know it all and will regularly defer to those more knowledgeable in my statements. But I will not force anyone to listen to what I say through any sort of brow-beating.

To the OP, good luck with your build and I hope you find the information you need
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, talk about drama.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            To the OP, good luck with your build and I hope you find the information you need
            That should not be very hard, but he is going to have to eat some humble pie in the process.

He was given a decent hint in post #2 and then "spoon fed" the information in post #13.

Comment

Wow I am finding this site to be somewhat unfriendly like
              The info the op asked for is not in the book that I can see. He is asking for the width not the thickness of the rings.

Op if I had a set of rings I would measure them for ya.
              be careful with rings you buy because different ring manufactures require different grit honing stones. So find out what grit stones you need for the rings you plan on buying
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                Wow I am finding this site to be somewhat unfriendly like
                On the contrary, it's quite helpful and friendly in my opinion.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I've deleted my other responses in this thread and will exit with this...

The required ring thickness and width can be surmised by measuring a piston.

Measure the ring groove height and depth using an appropriate micrometer with accuracy down to .0001". Calipers will not get it here. Subtract off .0010 - .0020" from the ring land height you measured and that will determine the ring thickness you need.

As for ring depth, take the piston land groove depth you measured and subtract off .005" and use that result to determine the maximum ring width. You can go thinner, but not thicker.

Consider that OEM piston ring sets are still available from Suzuki for $126 USD. These are high quality pieces that eliminate all guess work out of ring selection. The OEM top ring is chrome plated, so compare specs to any aftermarket rings you may find that are cheaper. There are countless posts in the archives where members here have wasted money on aftermarket gaskets only to come down with leaks. Something else to consider as you get ready to button up the engine. OEM parts cost more sometimes, but there is less gnashing of teeth in the long run.

I am now officially done with posting in newbie threads.

Good luck.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Again - some clarification. Yes, what Nessism says is correct - measuring a piston will give the required information.
                    The OP made the point in his original post he did not have immediate access to a piston.

The resistance from some people on here to using other than genuine OE parts can be a difficult hurdle to overcome.
                    Recently here in NZ I was able to offer help and advice to a young American living here. One of the first comments he made to me was that compared to the US the price of genuine parts was astronomical...

The internet has helped here but exchange rates and shippers who gouge on freight costs make finding alternative solutions a viable option.
                    It would appear that these factors are having an effect within the US as well.

Good luck to the OP with finding alternative rings - but I'd doubt if he'll post his results here.

Comment

His last post was his last visit, doubt if he'll be back.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

First I am sorry this has caused a **** storm... and thank to the guys who saw it my way...I just came here for a simple answer to a simple question... you know all this about how I worded my question and spoon fed is childish... If you have some sort of question etiquette and if its not followed you don't answer the question... then I guess I came to the wrong place... it's to bad because this forum could be a great place for guy who really need help... I will find my answer another way... buy I'm sure there are a lot of guys who come here and really don't know anything about mechanics and who are you to judge them they are trying... just give them the answer to their question... there are no dumb questions and maybe to should look at it like there are no simple questions... why would you judge what is a simple question and what is a legitimate question just answer them all... and your right I won't be back... it looks to me like this forum has lost it's way... that's really to bad because I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable guy here who are a real asset to the forum...

Comment

Working...
                        X