Warm starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm starting problem

I have a 1981 gs550L with 31000 miles on it. It will start when cold and most of time while hot but every now and then when out for a ride when we stop it won't start it rolls over just fine but won't start. Can bump start it in 10 feet or less. What could be the problem.

make sure your battery is up to snuff. these bikes need full voltage to start.

When it's hot , it's leaner than when cold, thus taking more spark to run?

A charging system check is in order too , but you haven't indicated that the battery is dead.

I'd start by checking all the connectors, and grounds.. cleaning them. The ignition switch can have a voltage loss too..

Some people advocate the 'ignition relay mod" which involves running a dedicated power lead to the coils that is switched by a relay.. to the coils to eliminate this problem.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Check the valve clearances to make sure they are in spec. Too little clearance results in low compression, which can contribute to hard starting.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
        Check the valve clearances to make sure they are in spec. Too little clearance results in low compression, which can contribute to hard starting.
        and, a hot engine has less valve clearance than a cold engine. Until I did valve clearances on my 850, it would hardly even start when it was hot.

Comment

But this might only do it once out of maybe 4 stops on a 200 mile ride could it still be the valves.

Comment

[QUOTE=rem3160;1851851]But this might only do it once out of maybe 4 stops on a 200 mile ride could it still be the valves.[/QUOTE

How many miles has it been since the valves were last adjusted/checked?

-Dave
            82 GS1100E
            five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
            Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Originally posted by rem3160 View Post
              But this might only do it once out of maybe 4 stops on a 200 mile ride could it still be the valves.
              Yes it could. If it's been over 8k miles, or you have no idea when they were done, they need to be checked. I'll bet you find a bunch of tight valves.

Comment

I'm not sure how long it's been since they were checked but that's where i'm going to start my search Thanks Everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X