I have to prime carbs after sitting a couple days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to prime carbs after sitting a couple days

I have to poor a little gas in carbs to get it to start after it sits about three days. Otherwise it starts fine and runs great. Choke is working. Acts like the float bowls evaporate out the fule after a while and won't fill until the engine starts.

ok, firstly what bike do you have? add it to your signature so we can see, and you dont have to keep adding it to every thread you start.

most obvious answer is, are you sure there are no leaks anywhere?
    secondly, are the float heights correct? if they are set to low then the lack of fuel in the bowl will cause hard starting from cold
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Do you park in direct sunlight alot? and how are you adding this shot of gas, do you have a vacuum petcock?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

gs1000 I assume the float bowls should fill every time I start it. Also if I start it every day or two all is OK so the floats height must be OK or am I missing something.

I snake a tube with a small funnle through the air box to prime the carbs a bit if I let it sit two long. Sometimes it will start if In crank it for a very long time after setting a few days

I got this bike a couple years ago and am trying to fix two livable but annoying problems.

Comment

does your petcock have a prime position on it? if so, try it there next time you try and start it
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thats just normal evaporation thru the vents...not anything wrong here.

And as stated, you swing it to the PRIme position for 30 seconds before you go to start it. All my bikes sit for a week or two between rides and thats thye first thing I do when I get a different one out..PRIme the carbs.

Be sure to always swing it back to the ON position once its running.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you dont have a PRIme spot, just a quick shot of starting fluid would be easier than all that funnel business I would think.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X