New Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rings

Well, it's time to put new rings in the old girl. It's smoking out of one tail pipe and the head gasket is leaking oil so it's time to pull it apart. I'm going to have the jugs honed while it's a part and put new rings on the pistons. Thought about taking the valves out and putting new seals and lapping the valves while they're out but I think I'll leave them together for now. Only question I have for you guy's that have rebuilt these engines is...do the studs need to be replaced?

no, you do not need to replace the studs. just clean them up of any rust or corrosion that may have attached to them.

personally i would do the valves while you have the head off. you will probably have to wait a day or 2 to get the cylinders honed so why not do it all while its apart?
    then you will know its all good and will save having to pull the head off again at a later date
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      no, you do not need to replace the studs. just clean them up of any rust or corrosion that may have attached to them.

personally i would do the valves while you have the head off. you will probably have to wait a day or 2 to get the cylinders honed so why not do it all while its apart?
      then you will know its all good and will save having to pull the head off again at a later date
      Plus one on the head work, head, exhaust gaskets are expensive, why do it twice?
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

And the fact that, more than likely, the valve stem seals are shot from being 31 years old.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yep!
          Do the head while you got it off.
          If I was close enough to you I would be giving you a slap up side of your head just for even thinking about not doing it.
          My stable
          84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
          85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
          88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
          98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
          90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
          00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

OK,I'll do the heads, I just want to ride some time this year but I know you guy's are right about doing them now. Thanks for the answer on the studs Agemax. Other than Z1 and Bikebandit is there another place to buy valves if I choose to?

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
              Yep!
              Do the head while you got it off.
              If I was close enough to you I would be giving you a slap up side of your head just for even thinking about not doing it.
              My wife slapped me when I read this so I guess I your slap made it here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                OK,I'll do the heads, I just want to ride some time this year but I know you guy's are right about doing them now. Thanks for the answer on the studs Agemax. Other than Z1 and Bikebandit is there another place to buy valves if I choose to?
                why would you want to replace the valves? unless you know they are already damaged, or you want to fit bigger performance valves, all that will be required is a good clean up and lap them in.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  why would you want to replace the valves? unless you know they are already damaged, or you want to fit bigger performance valves, all that will be required is a good clean up and lap them in.
                  I don't plan to, I was just thinking in case I need to I would know of the best place to buy them.

Comment

Working...
                  X