chain noise when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain noise when driving

hey everyone my name is Don. I live in white salmon Wa. this is my first time here and my first post, I met Charlie G in white salmon wa and he invited me to join so I figured I will make the best of it, so since im having some chain or chain noise issues I thought this would be a good start. here is the story. when my rig is in N the engine purs like a panther. but when I put it in gear and ease my cluch out it starts to make clunking noises in the front of my bike where the chain goes into the gear housing are ( not sure what the technical name for it is ) any one have this problem? what may cause it and how to fix it??
    I initially thought my wheel might be uneven In regards to my chain tension
    so I put it in gear and adjusted it until the noise went away and my tension marks were even and it did good for a few days. but what do ya know its back . I ride a GS110e with 12,000 miles on it. all original and put on by me.

Sounds like you need a new chain, and both new sprockets.

How worn are they? Pull the link halfway around the rear sprocket away from the sprocket. If it comes away much at all it's worn. Look at the o rings in the chain, I bet you will find half of them or more gone. Look at the sprocket teeth. I bet they are shaped a little bit like hooks. Put it on the centerstand, check the chain tension as you slowly rotate the wheel. I bet it gets tighter and looser as it goes around.

If you don't replace all three at the same time, the old parts will eat the new part fast.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ditto on the chain idea. You sure lucked out and met a good fella with Charlie G. He's one of the good ones that's for sure. Welcome to the site and lets see a picture of this bike
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome to GSR!

I to have started to get a clackity clickity clack when I'm moving, since my chain isn't very old I took a good look and my sprockets have started to 'hook' on me.

Looks like it's time for new sprockets!

Comment

Originally posted by szukirider350 View Post
          hey everyone my name is Don. I live in white salmon Wa. this is my first time here and my first post, I met Charlie G in white salmon wa and he invited me to join so I figured I will make the best of it, so since im having some chain or chain noise issues I thought this would be a good start. here is the story. when my rig is in N the engine purs like a panther. but when I put it in gear and ease my cluch out it starts to make clunking noises in the front of my bike where the chain goes into the gear housing are ( not sure what the technical name for it is ) any one have this problem? what may cause it and how to fix it??
          I initially thought my wheel might be uneven In regards to my chain tension
          so I put it in gear and adjusted it until the noise went away and my tension marks were even and it did good for a few days. but what do ya know its back . I ride a GS110e with 12,000 miles on it. all original and put on by me.
          Mine did exactly the same thing when I first got the bike. Buying new sprockets and chain fixed the issue ... went with 530 sizes
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

you guys Rock!!! I will start there, and I had also already intended on changing the chain so that just seals it. thanks for the welcome and to AZR I will post a pic asap. (today sometime. again thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
              Welcome to GSR!

I to have started to get a clackity clickity clack when I'm moving, since my chain isn't very old I took a good look and my sprockets have started to 'hook' on me.

Looks like it's time for new sprockets!
              Usually if the chain or sprockets go out of tolerance, one will quickly chew up the other. Hooked sprockets will stretch the chain and if you replace only sprockets, the old chain quickly wears the new sprockets and you're soon back where you started.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input and assistance on this issue, my sprocket is on order I guess I should change the chain too . strangely enough, I now have developed an oil leak, gasket replacement time and my tach cable spun on me. yeha
                time to do some maintenance. need to change the oil too. I have posted a pic of my rig. in albums I will post more soon. ride hard everyone.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input and assistance on this issue, my sprocket is on order I guess I should change the chain too . strangely enough, I now have developed an oil leak, gasket replacement time and my tach cable spun on me. yeha
                  time to do some maintenance. need to change the oil too. I have posted a pic of my rig. in albums I will post more soon. ride hard everyone.
                  I hope you meant "sprocketS" There are two Y'know. heheh
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Pretty bike.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Yeah front and rear sprockets, hope you went with the 530 conversion and ditch that heavy 630 set up.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X