Opinions on what to do with this cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on what to do with this cylinder

So this question is referring to the cylinder on my gs550. I measured them a couple weeks ago with a bore gage, and everything was within specs with just a little taper top to bottom so I ordered a new set of stock size piston rings with the intention of just honing and installing new rings.. So the rings got here today so I finally hone the cylinders after work. Everything looks good until I get to the last cylinder and I see some scoring after the first pass. So I went a little more with the hone until the taper was gone and the cylinder is about +.002" oversize from nominal which is within the service specs but I don't want to go farther because I think it would take going over the limit to totally remove them. The rest of the cylinders look beautiful, but this one has the two scores shown in the photo which will just barely catch a fingernail.

So now for my questions..
    should I
    1) just put the beast together and run it as is
    2) keep honing til the scratch is gone even if it goes oversize a little
    3) go +.5mm (which would stink since I already got the rings)
    4)?? I dunno what else I guess I could have a new sleeve put in but that's a pain as well.
    I appreciate your opinions.

note: the marking at the top that looks like a scratch isn't it is just where I ran the bore gage down checking the diameter..

I would run it as it is man. If you oversize then you'll run into greater issues. That small of a score shouldn't give you much problem. You'll be okay. Just see how it runs and if you have issues go with the +.5.

Comment

I say just put it together and run it as is.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Put it together and go with it.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Put it together. It's still within specs and that little bit isn't going to hurt a thing.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Put it back together and run a quart of Joe Gibbs BR 30 break in oil with your first oil fill and change at 500 miles- you'll be fine. You want to get as much zinc in the cylinders walls-
            Normal to burn oil in the first 1000 miles but after that you should be burning almost zero oil.
            Pay attention to ring orientation upon rebuild.

Comment

Ok guys Thanks for the reassurance. I will be working on putting it back together hopefully a bit this weekend between other stuff going on. I'll try to post some pics later, but I'm just taking my time so hopefully I don't miss anything or mess anything up. I don't want to have to repeat this again anytime soon so I'm doing my best to get it together right the first time.

Comment

Working...
              X