air box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box question

I replace the head on my 80 GS 1100with a head from an 83.I can't seem to get my carburetors to line up with the air box at all. Is there a difference in the years for the air box?

A parts fische shows that for a 1980 1100E the airbox part number is 13710-49330.
    The airbox part number for a 83 1100E is 13710-49200.

I would check the spacing on the intake manifold between the old 80 head and the new 83 head. I can't think of any reason it should be any different. The problem could be the rubber boot shapes between the carbs and the air box.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm using the same carbs and boots.

Comment

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
        I'm using the same carbs and boots.
        Measure the spacing on the airbox side of the carb intakes, then measure the boot spacing. Those boots are not usually straight, they must be rotated into position to mate up with the carbs.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I FINALLY got them on. It was a real bi***! Has me tempted to go buy pods next time lol.

Comment

Originally posted by m.qualls89 View Post
            I FINALLY got them on. It was a real bi***! Has me tempted to go buy pods next time lol.
            If the boots are aged and hardened, it makes the job MUCH more difficult.
            Also, warming the boots with a hot air gun and doing a couple of wipes inside with an oily finger seems to help for me. The carb to airbox mating has always been a pain to me. The exception being my 79 750E. That was the easiest to put together of any bike I've ever had.

Comment

Plus, the intake boots are angled, so you have to have them loose so you can rotate them a bit when attempting to insert the carb bodies.

Comment

Working...
              X