Max oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blower View Post
    Everything is possible but this was not my first engine overhaul.
    Nor was it mine when I freshened up the head on Flyboys GK and damaged 7 out of the eight... (glad I had spares)
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

He would be spending more for oil than gas. My 850 will sometime use a qt in 1000 miles depends on how I'm riding It's never been apart 50K miles

Comment

I put 55,000 miles on my 85 GS1150E and it never used more than a PINT of oil between oil changes every 3000 miles.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

1.5 GALLONS would have the entire bike soaked in oil, the rear tire so slick it wouldn't be able to be ridden let alone even stood up without sliding away from the person....something doesn't sound right if its not smoking like a steam engines smoke stack!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            1.5 GALLONS would have the entire bike soaked in oil, the rear tire so slick it wouldn't be able to be ridden let alone even stood up without sliding away from the person....something doesn't sound right if its not smoking like a steam engines smoke stack!!!
            There are no leaks in the engine and the exhaust tip is dry. The bike smokes most when warming up. When riding it smokes when opening throttle after slowing down.
            The engine seems to burn all the oil.
            When starting cold engine it takes few seconds before it starts to smoke. I think it should smoke immediately if the valve seals were worn? There is Motul 7100 10W 40 oil in the engine. Before Motul there was Delvac MX 10W 40 and it smokes more.
            Anyway in few weeks I should get the big block mls head gasket. Then it´s time for the busa pistons and GS1150/GSXR1127 cylinder block.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
              There are no leaks in the engine and the exhaust tip is dry. The bike smokes most when warming up. When riding it smokes when opening throttle after slowing down.
              The engine seems to burn all the oil.
              When starting cold engine it takes few seconds before it starts to smoke. I think it should smoke immediately if the valve seals were worn? There is Motul 7100 10W 40 oil in the engine. Before Motul there was Delvac MX 10W 40 and it smokes more.
              Anyway in few weeks I should get the big block mls head gasket. Then it´s time for the busa pistons and GS1150/GSXR1127 cylinder block.
              Those are both signs of guides. The 1100G I gave my brother sometimes will give up a remarkable cloud of blue smoke on start up, but it doesn't use 1 quart in a thousand miles.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Those are both signs of guides. The 1100G I gave my brother sometimes will give up a remarkable cloud of blue smoke on start up, but it doesn't use 1 quart in a thousand miles.
                Last winter when rebuilding the cylinder head I measured valve/guide wear as by the service manual. Exhaust was near to service limit and inlet valves & guides was in the middle of the tolerance. Thats why the exhaust guides & valves are new (APE guides & valves).
                I´m going to change valve guide seals @ same time when swapping cylinders & pistons.

Comment

Dab some grease on the tips of the guides and on the seals themselves when reassembling them. Use a pressing and twisting motion to snap them onto the guides. And keep them as square to a 90 degree angle as possible.

Gently insert the valves and use a gentle pressure and twisting motion to get them past the springs in the seals. Also inspect the edges of the stems...some 1200 or 1500 wet sand paper will smooth the edges like glass so no burrs can slice the new seals. Just a quicky smooth over will do wonders.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I opened the top end and inspected all the parts. It seems that the intake valve seals were leaked. Thats strange because the valve/guide play was in the middle of the tolerance and the seals I used were a good brand. There was a black oily "stripe" from every valve guide to the valve:

Now there are black unknown brand intake valve seals (from ebay) and it does not smoke anymore. Well see what happens after few hundred miles...

Comment

Hmm that's weird
                      Are you running high lift cams?
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Hmm that's weird
                        Are you running high lift cams?
                        No, original cams. One reason can be the plenum construction with one throttle body. It creates bigger vacuum than carbs/throttle bodies.

Comment

Working...
                        X