something gave out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something gave out

was out playing on the bike earlier...got in town an heard a clicking while accelertating...

it sounds different at idle, clicks like say a loose valve sound...higher rpm it gets louder...

bike dont miss or backfire, clicking in much louder on right side while riding..(left you barley hear it)...bog it down..say 5th gear at 30-40 mph at wot the sound goes away pretty much

valves were in adjustment around 2500 miles ago

unknown mileage also...bikes an 81 850g

any ideas on noise?

You broke something.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Exhaust leak or clutch noise. My two guesses.

Comment

I too would look into an exhaust leak, they can sound like something metallic.

Happened to me twice..

Comment

My 650 had a tick between 3000 & 5000 rpm, only did it under load, and I could not trace it, a mechanic friend had a look and said it could be cam ware, valve stems etc........ anyway the exhaust clamp on no3 had a bit of soot on it, so I got some new exhaust gaskets and replaced them, they fixed the leak and it also looks like it has fixed the ticking as well (I have only been out on it once since though)

Comment

Is the cam chain tensioner working correctly?
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

im pulling it apart sunday to look at it....i noticed on my engine im rebuilding the 850 has 2 valve springs per valve...could one have broken or gave out from high rpm stress?

i think its weird i can hear it on the right side...on the left its damn near not noticeable

Comment

wasnt a valve spring...it went the rest of the way today...now its missing an knocking super loud

Comment

That can't be good. How long 'till #2 engine is ready?
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                    wasnt a valve spring...it went the rest of the way today...now its missing an knocking super loud
                    Beg borrow or snitch a bore scope. That or pull the clutch cover and inspect the clutch basket.

Can you make a sound image/video of the noise?
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I like how Dale is thinking...clutch hub nut.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm thinking more along the lines of dampener springs broken. That or a circlip came off one of the piston pins.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

startded it to make a video...it said no an quit running..

buddy offered me a price as is...i may take it an search for a bigger gs to be honest

Comment

I would check and make sure the stator didn't come loose

Comment

broke from all the wheelies..... at least one in every post....
                              -Mark
                              Boston, MA
                              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                              sigpic
                              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
                              X