GS1000G thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G thoughts

Hi everybody, i have a 1980 GS1000G, she has 30007 miles it and i am wondering what do do with it during the off season, it doesnt run great thanks to carb issue but seeing past that at an idle of 700 the oil pressure is very low if there at all, whats going on with that? that being said, how hard is it to go through the whole motor?

Correct the issues with your carbs and set the correct idle speed, then worry about your oil pressure. Your idle speed is way to low as it is.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

First of all,

Second, an idle speed of 700 is too low. It should be in the 1000-1100 range. Your oil pressure is low because it's a roller-bearing engine. Even at maximum pressure, you will probably not see more than 8-10 psi on a gauge. When the bike warms up, pressure will likely be in the 3-7 psi range.

Third, what to do in the off-season? If it's running well, just winterize it and wake it up when it's ready to ride again.

If it's not running right "due to carb issue", it sounds like it's time to rebuild the carbs. Not all that hard to do, just time consuming. If you are not comfortable working on them, there are a few of us that provide that service.

Also keep in mind that there are a few other things that you will need to do to get your bike running its best, including valve adjustment and a thorough cleaning of all the wiring connections on the bike. Then, you need to check the age and condition of the tires and brakes to be able to have confidence in the safety and reliability of your machine.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How low does it read at idle? If you have one does the oil light come on?

The two valve motors only run 3 - 4 lbs oil pressure when warm at higher RPM (4K and up), at idle maybe 1/2 lb at most. Idle should be around 1100 RPM or so.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

the oil light never comes on, but at a hot idle running 20/50 synthic blend oil it read around a pound or 2 at 900ish rpm. the tire i know are bad, the carbs i am saving to have them gone though, and i just want to finish personalizing the bike, the paint is bad, the aluminum is all very pitted, i just see a large margin for improvement. i want to paint it, clean it up more. i went through all of the wiring and cleaned it all up and fixed what was wrong, i just removed a few thing i didnt need and changed a few little pieces, i am running a HID headlight set up as of now

Comment

1-2 lbs at idle is just fine and normal !!

Comment

If you are going to pay someone to do your carbs, pay one of the fellows on this list to do it. The last thing you need is for someone to dismantle them half way and install a rebuild kit which replaces parts which aren't bad anyway with inferior aftermarket versions of them.

Don't push it into a shop for that. It is super easy to remove them on that bike. Do the boots and O rings at the joint between the head and boot, and the boots to the airbox if they are stiff. Park it with a full fuel tank, and drained carbs. A full tank doesn't have moist air to create condensation in it. Empty carbs don't have fuel to evaporate and leave varnish.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

a shop in my area had already messed it up bad before i bought it. i found a shop who specializes in old bikes, but if any local members will get her running right i would welcome it, who is local and what would you guys charge for your services

Comment

Check here....
                  If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GS1000G,

Just go through the maintenance lists and see the "how to" information on my little website. Most of what you need is in the links below. I urge you to learn to work on your own motorcycle. If you don't, the hacks in the shops will either damage it further or charge you way more than the bike is worth. I understand carb cleaning/rebuilding is daunting for a novice mechanic. If you must, let one of the guys on this board do it for you. See the "Services" section of the forum. Let's get you going with your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You're in Portland. Ride it year round. Winterizing is for Minnesota and Siberia.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Feel free to sell it to me, I am looking for one.

I live in Bremerton, WA, probably a bit too far for you, but I would be willing to help you out, no charge. Just beer/pizza.

Good luck
                        -Matt

Comment

Working...
                        X