Lower-end noise from my GS850 daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now for the next challenge...

I picked up the hardware in the picture below, but the M8 hex head doesn't quite fit past the 14mm threads in the flywheel.

Sooooooo, I think we might just be dealing with manufacturing differences, and the one I bought was just a little bigger in diameter than the one Bwringer used.

I think I'll try to chuck it in a drill and file a smidge at a time off the circumference of the head until it fits then cautiously give it a shot.

Here's a pic in case it helps...

Comment

you have to add a spacer inside of the rotor thread to push against with the large bolt.
      the 8mm is for the starter clutch assembly.
      Last edited by blowerbike; 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        you have to add a spacer inside of the rotor thread to push against with the large bolt.
        the 8mm is for the starter clutch assembly.
        The 8mm is the spacer - but I had to "machine" it a bit to get it to fit.

But now that I have the flywheel off, I see what you mean because the screws holding the starter clutch to the flywheel are almost identical.

This is what I did -

Comment

Rest of the technique -

But is this supposed to happen? Might be normal...

Comment

I did find the starter clutch screws to be undamaged and totally tight.

Meanwhile, at least one of my manuals says clutch rollers and plungers falling out is normal.

Soooo... I think this gives the thumbs up on a healthy starter clutch?

Comment

Pull out the rest of the springs and rollers and see what they look like.

Now, with that said, I just listen to your noise and it sounds like it coming from the clutch side, not the starter clutch side (stator side). Possibly a loose clutch basket or broken spring in the backside of the basket.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Pull out the rest of the springs and rollers and see what they look like.

Now, with that said, I just listen to your noise and it sounds like it coming from the clutch side, not the starter clutch side (stator side). Possibly a loose clutch basket or broken spring in the backside of the basket.
                I'll do that - I saw two out of three because they fell out (and they looked perfect to me and went back together just fine), but I'll double check all three. Meanwhile, I think you may be right about the noise, and I'm crossing my fingers. But no garage and ran out of daylight, so I'll try to get into that other side tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Comment

Slow but sure progress...

Double checked - all starter clutch rollers/springs look perfect. Reassembled that side per the shop manual and buttoned it back up.

Then drained the oil and popped the clutch cover.

I was pleasantly surprised that my trusty HF Tools hammer-driven impact driver made short work of breaking loose all the screws (which have not been loosened by me, so that's at least 6 years). I've had stainless hex-heads to replace the phillips-heads for a couple of years, was just waiting for a reason to remove them.

Aside from my own failed attempt to get the gasket off in one piece, there were no overt signs of destruction in the case - no metal or broken bits.

I'm a clutch noob, so I need to read up on what I'm looking for and how to get the thing out of there.

Meanwhile, initial observation is that the clutch release rack is loose and floppy, and there's 1/8-1/4" of play where the basket can move back and forth in line with the shaft. I don't know yet if those things are normal or indicate a problem.

Comment

That loose rack gear piece is normal.

Next fun is getting the clutch hub nut loose. A rattle gun typically makes short work of it, or you will have to make yourself a tool to hold the inner clutch hub from turning while the nut is removed.

Good luck. Love the photos.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                      Meanwhile, initial observation is that the clutch release rack is loose and floppy, and there's 1/8-1/4" of play where the basket can move back and forth in line with the shaft. I don't know yet if those things are normal or indicate a problem.
                      In and out or parallel to the shaft?
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Then drained the oil and popped the clutch cover.
                        A little late now, but did you realize that you don't have to drain the oil to open the clutch cover?
                        Just leave the bike on the side stand, virtually no oil comes out.
                        Might be a few drops that were clinging to the inside of the case, but that's all.

On a similar note, you don't have to drain the oil to pull the stator cover, either. Just put a 2x4 under the left foot of the center stand.
                        Bike is still PLENTY stable.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Love the photos.
                        I agree.

Well-lit, good focus, just a tad large, though. Some of the larger pictures were 1204x903, which barely fit on my 17" screen. For those who are using smaller laptop screens, even a 1024x768 might be too big. Usually, an 800x600 picture will work just fine.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

and there's 1/8-1/4" of play where the basket can move back and forth in line with the shaft.
                          Maybe the clutch hub nut came loose. Easy fix if it is.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            A little late now, but did you realize that you don't have to drain the oil to open the clutch cover?
                            Just leave the bike on the side stand, virtually no oil comes out.
                            Ha, no I didn't know that about the clutch cover, though it makes sense since I did know about the stator cover - I did similar to your pic when I had mine off before.

That said, an oil change was overdue, so no biggie. I had the filter and a jug of oil on hand already.

I'll take the picture size tip under advisement, but glad they're helpful. I know the pics of others have been a huge help to me in the past, and though I'm not the first, I'm also not likely the last one to have a similar issue. I believe the children are our future... etc etc.

Comment

I'll take the picture size tip under advisement, ...
                              If you use PhotoBucket, you can go into your user preferences and have any incoming pictures set to a maximum size automatically.
                              I have mine set to resize the 'long' side to a maximum of 800. If you upload something smaller, it will not enlarge to 800.

That will leave your full-size picture on your computer and only upload a re-sized copy to PB. Saves on their space, saves time for anyone downloading it, etc.

The only pictures I host on PB are ones that I want to post. I understand the convenience of "cloud" storage, I just prefer not to use it at this time, and I don't store them for the world to hack.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                Maybe the clutch hub nut came loose. Easy fix if it is.
                                Fingers crossed.

Hey wait - is that the same nut that's really tough to get off when you want it off? How ironic is it that if that's the problem.

Speaking of which I've read on here that the hub nut for a 1000 is 32mm, is mine the same size? Going to need to pick one of those up.

Comment

Working...
                                X