Lower-end noise from my GS850 daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    If you use PhotoBucket, you can go into your user preferences and have any incoming pictures set to a maximum size automatically.
    I use Google, but I've got a program that'll drag-and-drop batch shrink 'em. I can set the long side to some more reasonable number of pixels.

Oh, and I tried the drag-and-drop batch shrink on my electric bill and a credit card bill. No dice.

Comment

Also - pics from yesterday. Edit: Hopefully the reduced size will provide some relief for those with smaller screens. I tried 800px for the long side and they look OK to me, lemme know if they distort.

Clutch cover off...

And the clutch cover bolt order...

Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Great job on the re-size.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Uh oh...

Left the waste oil in the pan overnight to let it settle and I didn't like what I saw when I poured it into the jug.

Looks to me like I've got some little gold flakes visible in the bottom of the pan. I assume it's brass. I also assume it used to be inside the bike somewhere, but I'm kinda lost to guess what it was part of.

Clearly there's been some damage, just hope I'm catching it early.

Comment

Are there any metallic particals in your clutch frictions? Start by removing the pressure plate, then remove the frictions and steels, bend the tabs back on the washer and check to see if the nut is tight, then go in from there.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

brass is from the thrust washer's on each side of the con rod's.
              on the big bikes the rods will step then start eating away at the thrust washer's.
              cut your oil filter a part and have a look...
              maybe i'm wrong but i always got a sick feeling when any of the 1100/1150's i have owned had "brass" in the oil and filter.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                brass is from the thrust washer's on each side of the con rod's.
                on the big bikes the rods will step then start eating away at the thrust washer's.
                cut your oil filter a part and have a look...
                maybe i'm wrong but i always got a sick feeling when any of the 1100/1150's i have owned had "brass" in the oil and filter.
                Yeah, I can't think of anything else made of brass in there.

If that's the case at least the 850 engines are easy to find. I bought one for $1.02 off Ebay a while ago. It was fine. Slap it back together and ride it while you peruse the local Craigslist and Ebay, you will find one.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The washers on either side of the con rods are not brass. More likely they are made from sintered bronze which is copper colored.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    The washers on either side of the con rods are not brass. More likely they are made from sintered bronze which is copper colored.
                    I definitely thought I'd struck gold (not copper) when I saw the material, but I was outside and the light was failing. Unfortunately, even though I took the time to inspect the oil, I'd already tossed the filter, so I can't inspect that. I'll take a closer look at the material tonight.

Regardless, not ready to panic yet (which is a small miracle). I do see assembled lower ends on Ebay for well under $100 (and a crank with connecting rods for under $20) if it comes to that, but I'll finish inspecting the clutch and see what's behind it then go to the next phase. Didn't see any complete engines for $1 and change, but I haven't searched much yet.

Speaking of which, haven't had time yet to even pull the pressure plate, but can anyone confirm that the hub nut needs a 32mm to remove/tighten?

Comment

you are correct...i always just called it "brass" as the color was copper looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                        I definitely thought I'd struck gold (not copper) when I saw the material, but I was outside and the light was failing. Unfortunately, even though I took the time to inspect the oil, I'd already tossed the filter, so I can't inspect that. I'll take a closer look at the material tonight.

Regardless, not ready to panic yet (which is a small miracle). I do see assembled lower ends on Ebay for well under $100 (and a crank with connecting rods for under $20) if it comes to that, but I'll finish inspecting the clutch and see what's behind it then go to the next phase. Didn't see any complete engines for $1 and change, but I haven't searched much yet.

Speaking of which, haven't had time yet to even pull the pressure plate, but can anyone confirm that the hub nut needs a 32mm to remove/tighten?
                        i use 1-1/4" 6 point socket.

Comment

It is a 32MM socket.

Comment

Thank you, Blowerbike and Zuzu - socket options noted.

Now to apologize for the comments about "Brass". I think I was wrong about the material and that it's actually aluminum.

I attribute my mistake to a combination of golden sunset light, the amber color of the used oil the particles were in, and the bright red color of my oil pan that probably threw off my mental "white balance". I'm a hobby photographer, so I probably should have known better than to try to determine the material visually under those circumstances.

Anyway, still represents damage and doesn't change my plans to pull the pressure plate and clutch.

Comment

Anyway, still represents damage...
                              Not necessarily; it could be normal wear. Any pictures of said suspect aluminum particles?

Comment

Not necessarily; it could be normal wear. Any pictures of said suspect aluminum particles?
                                Not yet, but that can be arranged. Though, they're not going to photograph easy. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X