Lower-end noise from my GS850 daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
    Well, then maybe I'll be riding sooner than I thought. But I'm still kinda puzzled how that nut gets loose.
    Eric suggests, Red lock tite and an impact gun...
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

loctite is a waste because it is a spline.
      i always impact hub and sprocket nuts(large items).
      just common sense...

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        Red lock tite and an impact gun...
        Negative on the red lock-tite.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Uh oh.

Trying to re-install my clutch basket, and with a new kind of leverage on it (engaged with the drive gear) I got some noticeable movement between the basket and the gear that I hadn't found when I just had the assembly loose in my hands. The basket was able to twist the basket a fraction of an inch in either direction relative to the gear.

So I had no in/out play, and no side/side play, but it seems that I have some rotational play. I assume this is a problem and means I need to also replace my clutch basket?

Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

that just means it's like 99% of the basket's out there.
            on an 850 i would not sweat it.
            now side to side would be a different story.

Comment

Dang.

It's all back together and still made the same noise. Maybe a smidge better, but definitely still there.

Even with this diagram it's hard to see for sure the difference between what I'm calling "rotational" movement and what I'm calling "side-to-side" movement. But I'll give it another go just to make sure.

Essentially, the basket can pivot around its center about 1/4-1/2" (measured along outside edge of the basket) in either direction relative to the big gear.

It doesn't spring back into place - it just stays wherever in that arc I pivot it.

Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

that is not your noise....but, i like you drawings

Comment

I just checked the clutch basket I have lying around. You can move the aluminum clutch basket in relation to the gear when a bit of force is applied. The basket will move and stay in that position until force is applied in the other direction. The dampening springs in my spare basket are a little loose. I'd say it moved it 3/16" of inch.

Note, I do not mean rotating the clutch hub (the piece I sent you) in relation to the aluminum clutch basket.

Clutch basket... https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...o/P1110814.JPG
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    that is not your noise....but, i like you drawings
                    Lol, thanks.

It's been suggested to tackle the carb sync next and see if that helps.

I'll feel a little silly if that fixes it, though there's no doubting that clutch hub nut was very loose and the hub was taking damage, so it wasn't a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      I just checked the clutch basket I have lying around. You can move the aluminum clutch basket in relation to the gear when a bit of force is applied. The basket will move and stay in that position until force is applied in the other direction. The dampening springs in my spare basket are a little loose. I'd say it moved it 3/16" of inch.

Note, I do not mean rotating the clutch hub (the piece I sent you) in relation to the aluminum clutch basket.
                      OK, thanks for checking that out. I'll check that carb sync and see what impact that has - was on my to-do list anyway since discovering and fixing that intake leak at the airbox boots.

Edit: Not complaining, but so wishing for a garage right now. This is the most challenging bike problem I've had in years, and I wish I wasn't so limited on when I could work. :P Reassembled today and had to put on the headlamp to finish.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Well, I synced the carbs (they were not that far off in the first place) and that didn't effect the noise.

I wish I had a better way to get audio of the noise - the videos I take totally skew the sound to the higher frequencies so that the tapping is almost all you hear - makes the noise sound much worse than it sounds in person.

That said, it's certainly still there.

Honestly, I'm feeling extra pressure because I don't have a back-up vehicle and I feel as though I've kinda worn out my welcome on the ride I've been borrowing for the last three weeks. I'm working on that as well - but I'm finding strangely unmotivated sellers. :P

So, anyway... I'm open to other ideas of things to look at. Since getting the clutch tightened up I'm now wondering if the remaining noise might be originating from the top end, but I'm not sure how to narrow that down or if it's possible to narrow it down.

Comment

I gave this whole thing a quick read... Sorry if I missed something...
                          but I'm not convinced you have eliminated the "loose springs in basket" as a possible cause... [click on the pics to watch video ]

at about 5-6 seconds in, I'm blipping the throttle...

That noise was caused by this:

Last edited by exdirtbiker; 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM.
                          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                          1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                          Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

anything is possible but 850 baskets never get as loose as 1000/1100/1150 springs.
                            if he had a loner 850 basket to try that would tell the tale.

i have started engines with the clutch side empty to see if noises went away.
                            running the engine for a few seconds will hurt nothing.
                            just a thought....
                            Last edited by blowerbike; 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                              I gave this whole thing a quick read... Sorry if I missed something...
                              but I'm not convinced you have eliminated the "loose springs in basket" as a possible cause...
                              Interesting. Mine had a slight rattle when removed - not quite the metal maraca you've got there, but you never know.

Mr. Blowerbike - so get it back this point

... and then crank it up?

I'm thinking the short duration is mainly because there's nothing driving the oil pump? And do I need to actually drain the oil again to do this test without causing an ecological incident, or am I ok on the side stand?

I think this will be my best bet - at least if I still hear that sound I'll know for sure it's not the clutch.

Comment

yes as pictured..no basket pump gear...all the way back to the trans bearing.
                                install clutch cover and fire it up.
                                you should know if the noise is gone within a few seconds...no more second guessing.
                                if this is not the area then you can button up the clutch side and move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X