Oil Ingress Into No.1 Cylinder - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Ingress Into No.1 Cylinder - GS1100G

Been playing with my Gs1100G Road Runner project and I had a problem with the thing spitting fire out of no. 1 cylinder when I had the headers off (Fire Spitting Video).

I seem to have cured that now by making a rough (without any vacuum equipment) adjustment of the no. 1 synch and the spitting has stopped.

Now I have a smoking problem.

After a ride, I get back home and put the bike on the side stand and within 10 seconds there is smoke coming out around the no. 1 cylinder exhaust (clearly it is blowing a bit there) and when revved up, smoke comes out the exhaust.

Looks to me like oil getting into no. 1 cylinder

BUT

it only happens when its on the side stand. Put the bike on the main stand and the smoking stops (or never starts if you just get home and put it on the main stand).

When I did the valve adjustments, I noticed a lot of oil pooling around the shims and the cams and I am now thinking that with the bike on the side stand, all the oil in the cam area pours to be above no. 1 cylinder and some of it gets through the valve oil seals. Take a look:

Smoking From No.; 1 Video (30 secs long)

There is no discernible smoke coming from anywhere when I am riding or stopped at lights. It only happens when propped on the side stand.

Anyone have any ideas?

Greetings
    Last edited by londonboards; 09-29-2013, 02:36 PM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

I may not be best person to offer you advice, but I would'nt dwell on the possibility of oil (valve seals)intruding into cylinder #1 at this point. I've know several riders who's valve seals were leaking for quite a few years before they got around to pulling the head and doing a top end rebuild. Watch to oil level and keep it topped up. You will get a sense of the consumption over time and know about when it needs it.

I'd be more concerned with it not wanting to start after a ride. These bike should fire off with the touch of a button. Sync the carbs, fix the exhaust leak on # 1, double check you intake system is sealed (1st item) and maybe check that you have a strong ignition system on that plug.

I have a simular problem on #4, in that it's hard to start when warm, pipe is starting to blue and I've come to believe that the intake boots need replacing. A little oil in the combustion chamber is not detrimental in the short term. I would think you can addess that concern after you have your Dad's bike running again and you've ingested a couple pounds on insects riding the B roads of the UK.

OK someone else weigh in on this...

cg
    Last edited by Charlie G; 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post

Anyone have any ideas?
      Here's one. Don't run it on the side stand.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Only two ways come to mind for oil to enter the combustion chamber.

1. Bad seals around the valve stem. Would probably be evident any time the engine is running, not just on the side stand.

2. Somebody has drilled an exhaust bolt hole a little too deep in an effort to clean it out or re-thread it. On some engines (not sure about yours), there is an oil passage directly behind that hole.

A third source of oil would smoke, but not be inside the combustion chamber.
        It's possible that there is a leak from the valve cover gasket or a small crack directly over the exhaust port that is allowing an occasional drop of oil to hit the hot header pipe. Not sure if that might also be the source of your spitting fire, but you should be aware that running an engine with no header pipes is not all that good for it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's two. I regularly warm mine up on the sidestand.

To the O.P. obviously you have an exhaust leak at the #1 head pipe and more so than not, bad valve stem seals.

You can always replace the #1 cylinders stem seals in situ until you find the time to tear into it properly.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Here's one. Don't run it on the side stand.

Your missing the point Tom. Smoke & Oil ! Maybe he shouldn't put oil in the bike? Smart arse.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, I was kind of serious. If it only smokes while runnning on the sidestand, don't run it on the side stand. I have never seen a need to run any bike on the side stand, at all.
              Even the ones with no centerstand.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Steve You do have me worried now. The plug on that cylinder is oily and there is smoke coming from the muffler too so I am assuming that it means oil in the combustion chamber.

I did tap out the bolt holes and I will take the bolts out again to see if any oil comes out from them. Then I know what the problem is. But surely I would have had to tap way into it to go through the oil passage and make a hole into the combustion chamber? In fact would it even be possible?

Between you and me, I made another rookie mistake in that I turned the engine over with a shim not seated properly (in this same no. 1 cylinder but on the intake valve). The result was the shim was shattered but I was concerned there may have been other damage to the shim bucket or something else.

What do you think?

Greetings
                Last edited by londonboards; 09-30-2013, 03:45 PM.
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Well, I was kind of serious. If it only smokes while runnning on the sidestand, don't run it on the side stand. I have never seen a need to run any bike on the side stand, at all.
                  Even the ones with no centerstand.
                  likewise, perhaps the oil level is too high, also have you tried leaning it to the right and seeing if the same happens to #4...??
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Between you and me, I made another rookie mistake ...
                    OK, I won't let anyone else see this.

... that I turned the engine over with a shim not seated properly (in this same no. 1 cylinder but on the intake valve). The result was the shim was shattered but I was concerned there may have been other damage to the shim bucket or something else.
                    I had a shim shatter once, but it was because the tool slipped off the bucket and it slammed closed.
                    THAT is why I use the zip-tie method to hold the valves open to change shims.

Hopefully you got ALL the pieces of the broken shim. I fished around in the oil pools with a magnet for quite a while,
                    then spent some more time re-assembling the shim before I was comfortable that I had enough of it.

I laminated it with clear packing tape, it's now a little paperweight on my desk.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve - Mine was a pretty clean break. I think I got it all:

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X