Help deciding what direction to look into

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help deciding what direction to look into

OK, here's what has happened to my 1982 GS850 recently. All maintanance on the bike has been performed (valves adjusted, carbs cleaned, new plugs, all fluids changed and brake pads replaced) and the bike has run flawlessly for aprox. 450 miles. A couple of days ago I started to run into a strange problem. If I hold the throttle steady at around 5k rpms and in 4th or 5th gear I seem to loose a cylinder and I get a lot of flame and backfire out the exhaust (V&H 4 into 1). Carbs have been rejetted for the V&H and K&N stock filter. I put the bike on the center stand and run through the gears and the same happens. If I roll on the gas the engine revs clean. No idle issues. Smooth and steady at ~1300 RPMs. Usually requires little to no choke to start. I also have a lot of rapid backfire on closed throttle deceleraton but the bike has done that since purchased.

Edit: I've purchsed a new set of NGK plug wire caps and will be picking up a new coil set just to have around.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

I'd check my petcock for correct operation- maybe it's leaking down vac hose, fouling #2 plug at times and dumping raw gas into exhaust.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Interesting theory Tom. Old petcock is always suspect anyway.

I was thinking intermittent spark. The '82 850 has advance built into the ignitor box, and so can fail at particular rev ranges, if I'm not mistaken. A battery weakened by a failing charging system can exhibit similar symptoms, I think.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Checked the plugs and all were clean and slightly greyish in color. A little leaner then I would have expected, but not completely white. No signs of fouling for sure.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I remember when doing the valve adjustments that I couldn't rotate two of the shim buckets (two inner) on the exhaust side. I sure hope that this isn't related. I do have a spare head just in case though. Has anyone heard of an issue that could be related to the buckets not turning?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            I remember when doing the valve adjustments that I couldn't rotate two of the shim buckets (two inner) on the exhaust side. I sure hope that this isn't related. I do have a spare head just in case though. Has anyone heard of an issue that could be related to the buckets not turning?
            check compression.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Check the coils. One sounds as if it's starting to break up

Comment

Already purchased replacement coils since one of the coils has a melted wire. Also purchased a new set of NGK plug caps. Today I started it up and found that #3 cylinder wasn't getting hot. I opened up the throttle and reved it up a few times and then the cylinder got hot. I'll be checking compression when I get back to from a trip.

Going to be attending the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta all next week so I'm having to get things together for that trip. I must be a gluten for old motor vehicles since I have a 1993 Airstream Land Yacht motorhome that I'm packing up. I also have several early 70's Datsun 240Z's and a couple of 1990 300zx Twin Turbos.
                Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Looks like the coils fixed the problem. Found two of the coil wires were melted half way through. Also found that some PO must have tried to replace the plug wires since these were not OEM and were glued in with white and black RTV silicone glue. All four wires would come right out of the coil with little to no force. All 4 caps were badly cracked as well. Anyone heard of replacing the wires on these coils?

Received the "new" used coils and replaced all four caps with new NGK caps from Z1. The caps that were on the coils looked good but went ahead and replaced them anyway. Seems to have fixed the issue with the number 3 cylinder cutting out.

I'm slowly accumulating another bike piece by piece. Picked up a head in great condition from an 83 GS850 that had just under 13,000 miles on it. Only cost me $24. All 8 shim buckets turn freely as they should and no carbon buildup. Debating on weather to keep it whole or part it out along with a complete set of BS32SS carbs.

Anyway, at least the bike is back on the road.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Good news- thanks for update. Apparently we should inspect everything for signs of PO's unhandywork. Yes, some folks on here have "dug out" and replace plug wires on some coils- but as you have found out, it needs to be done properly. Good luck and enjoy your fall riding.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X